leaving the gears in place

Trying to get my banjo loosened is a night mare as the left end is a nut on a shouldered stud.

David,

I missed this comment. But this is exactly why I said that if I had a change gear 10", I would install an actual stud instead of the 9-81 cap screw that the drawing shows and put the 3980-39 Lock Handle (or equivalent) on it. Once the nut behind the bandjo had been properly adjusted to touch the bandjo, all that you would have to do to drop the bandjo would be to open the gear cover and loosen the lock handle. No spanners required.

Now I've had a clean up in the man cupboard ( first for nearly a year ) I hope to spend sometime this coming week moving the " Mmight need this some time " scrap from the lathe stand & pull the lathe out to sort things out , including setting the rear of the saddle gibs .

Yeah, my "man place" is long overdue for a similar treatment!

What's the difference betw. a screw and a bolt? I'm one of the unknowing I guess
Mark
Hello Mark. As I understand it a screw is fully threaded up to the head no matter what its length. And a bolt has a plain shank and a set length of thread, typically about 1.5 D. So a short bolt looks identical to a machine screw.

I like to distinguish Between screw and bolt thusly. If it has a nut on it its a bolt. There are exceptions.

Actually, machine screws are normally threaded to the head regardless of length. Cap screws normally have a maximum of 1" of thread.

Back