Lets Talk Gantry Cranes

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I'm on the edge of purchasing a gantry crane but can't seem to pull the trigger. Ahaha basically I'm looking for you people to talk me into it. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight 1 ton, $583 with a 20% off coupon so cost wise its not prohibitive.

I have an immediate use for a gantry crane, lifting a knee mill off its pallet and onto a stand. I have some other upcoming lifts and there are some tractor implements where the gantry crane would come in handy. But if I'm honest the crane would frequently gather dust which is probably why I'm on the fence.

First question - Who has/had a gantry crane and is it worth owning one? Pro's, con's?

I have an engine hoist...

Engine Hoist Pro's - It folds up into a 2x2 foot cube of shop space so its out of my way most of the time and on wheels should I need to move it around.

Engine Hoist Con's - The problem is the engine hoist is frequently FAIL at lifting things other than engines. You can't life a machine off a pallet due to the narrow legs. Yes you could re-inforce the pallet in the center, hack off the outsides with a sawsall, etc. etc. but that's not using the right tool for the job. I get highly annoyed when I know a job would be easy if only I had the right tool. It also has only one lift point which can get precarious when lifting a lathe or something that really needs two lifting points.

Gantry Crane Pro's - Bring on any width pallet that becomes a non-issue. I will equip with dual hoists so I'll be a lot more comfortable lifting just about anything with two lifting points. 2,000 lb capacity which would cover anything I would lift. R&R of tractor implements like my behemoth Landpride rototiller would be much easier. No limitations on the size of machine or stand the thing has about an 8 foot width. If I need to lift something onto a trailer or truck I could now do this.

Gantry Crane Con's - Its for lifting not for moving, while its on wheels you are not supposed to move it under load. But I tend to put everything on wheeled stands so not really an issue. Its BIG but I think I have that figured out.

For those of you like me who's shop is your average 3 car garage I think I have overcome the main issue with gantry cranes which is ceiling height. This HF gantry crane is about 100 inches high, my ceiling height varies from about 103 inches to 106 inches but there's all manner of shop lights and garage door brackets and stuff hanging down in the way. I thought it wasn't going to work until I got the idea of assembling the crane above the garage door tracks and opener in the 3rd bay.

I'll only be able to move the crane back and forth about 6 feet but it will clear everything and straddle the bay. One side of the crane will be up against a wall out of the way, the other side will be in the dead space between the 2nd and 3rd bay so mostly the crane will be out of my way. The Kubota tractor lives in this bay so its easy to park the tractor outside when I need to use the crane. How I'm going to fish that I beam up above the garage door tracts and opener during assembly...I'm still working on that.

I would have a hard time justifying a gantry crane, but I can definitely see the advantages to having one. I also think that if you had one, you would find more uses for it than you would expect, especially if it is in a handy, easy to get at place in your shop.

On the other hand, maybe modifying your engine hoist would be the ticket. Refer to this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/a-real-shop-crane.38135/

if you need some nudging,
a Gantry can lift things a lot higher than a cherry picker.
you can spend a few extra bucks and get a trolley, that would make it a lot more versatile
plus you can be the only guy on the block with a GANTRY!

other uses:
you could use it to skin game
Hang a Pinata for parties
Inside Clothesline
Hockey/Soccer/Lacrosse Goal
Makeshift rack for curing jerky in the sun
Hang a bug zapper from it
the hook will make a perfect place to hang stuff from while spray painting

if you need some nudging,
a Gantry can lift things a lot higher than a cherry picker.
you can spend a few extra bucks and get a trolley, that would make it a lot more versatile
plus you can be the only guy on the block with a GANTRY!

other uses:
you could use it to skin game
Hang a Pinata for parties
Inside Clothesline
Hockey/Soccer/Lacrosse Goal
Makeshift rack for curing jerky in the sun
Hang a bug zapper from it
the hook will make a perfect place to hang stuff from while spray painting

You forgot an emergency inversion table to traction your back.

I have a rolling gantry with a fixed lift point. It is shop built, and I have had about 3,000 lbs on it without a creak or groan. One day I would like to calculate its real capacity. As mentioned in the OP, I am locked into a single bay in the shop. In short hindsight, I found out that it would have cost very little to have opted for 10'0'' wall height, and countless times I wish I had known. At any rate, my routine is to back a load under it, lift and drive out from under it, then lower the load onto the floor or whatever. Of course, it will pull an engine, break a tractor in half, or many other things. It rolls against the wall, legs straddling my mill, so really isn't in the way. I have had an engine hoist, and of course it will go other places in the shop, but I find them awkward with the load boomed out where it needs to be to be useful. I no longer have an engine hoist.

A gantry is a good thing to have. I am 35 and appreciate having to do less and less heavy lifting since injuries are starting to act up. This is only going to get worse as this earthen vessel deteriorates. I went to great pains to have a crane in my shop. Still not finished but I can see it being a huge energy and stress reducer when completed.

Paul.

Back