Lifting turret of BP

Question. The back of the turret has that big padeye thingy sticking out. Looks like a good lift or jacking point.
If I construct a cradle to support and stabilize the head from the table, can the table lift it?
If so, between the rear point being jacked, and the supported from tipping head, being lifted at the table end I should be able to
get the lift required. Lifting this way should keep it aligned as well if the head is cradled properly. When I did this years ago
with my Millrite (a lot smaller) it was difficult to get the turret to level out.

Another issue if I may. My BP does not have a door in the base. Is there a special way to handle the spider? If I carefully back out the 4 bolts and lift the turret, does the spider stay in place?
My riser comes today so I haven't seen it yet. I presume that the spider remains in place, and everything bolts back up as it was before, but with longer bolts. Correct?
Is there any reason I will need to drill a large (big enough for my hand) access hole in the side of the base to get access to the spider from below?

Question. The back of the turret has that big padeye thingy sticking out. Looks like a good lift or jacking point.
If I construct a cradle to support and stabilize the head from the table, can the table lift it?
If so, between the rear point being jacked, and the supported from tipping head, being lifted at the table end I should be able to
get the lift required. Lifting this way should keep it aligned as well if the head is cradled properly. When I did this years ago
with my Millrite (a lot smaller) it was difficult to get the turret to level out.

As long as the knee is in the full down position I think it would support the weight of the head/ram on a jack. Normally the table is rated at around 400 lbs. Some cribbing on the table should do it. The eye on the back is reasonably substantial, it is the mount for the optional shaper head. I wouldn't want to try to lift the machine from there, but it should handle the partial weight of the ram/turret just fine. The biggest problem I see is stabilizing the head so it doesn't try to tip over.

Another issue if I may. My BP does not have a door in the base. Is there a special way to handle the spider? If I carefully back out the 4 bolts and lift the turret, does the spider stay in place?
My riser comes today so I haven't seen it yet. I presume that the spider remains in place, and everything bolts back up as it was before, but with longer bolts. Correct?
Is there any reason I will need to drill a large (big enough for my hand) access hole in the side of the base to get access to the spider from below?

The spider may want to fall out. Is there no access port on that machine? Normally there is a panel or door somewhere in the column.

EDIT: I really need to work on my reading comprehension. I see you don't have a panel. A collapsible ''grappling hook'' on a light rope dropped through two bolt holes might be the way to go. Just drop them into the base when done.

Last edited:
Do you have a manual for the machine?
What does it say for the capacity of the table? I am betting there is a spec on that and of course that assumes you are moving the table with that load. I would not be afraid to load it well above that spec but I would not move it.
From the parts schematic, how is the spider design dealt with on the Boss? It is a bit different machine than the other BPs isn't it?

EDIT: meant to say if there's no access door they must have dealt with the spider in a different fashion than their more classical design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that its a Textron. And I think its a Boss 5, but I do not know how to identify it accurately and don't have a manual or schematic.
I do know that the head is not original. Your comment makes me want to contact the guy who restored this machine for me (halfway across the country).
He might have some valuable input for me before I do something stupid!
Jim, there is no access on this model. I think that is usual for the textron machines. Perhaps they thought it would be more rigid that way.

Jim, there is no access on this model. I think that is usual for the textron machines. Perhaps they thought it would be more rigid that way.

Take a look at my edit above. :) maybe a solution.

Jim,
If I don't drop the spider, will I still need to pull it up for the bolts to gain purchase? Or, will the riser sit on top of the spider and the new bolts just be able to reach the holes.
I've been searching for a diagram on this so I can understand how its engineered. No luck yet.

The spider is below the turret and inside the column. You would have to keep it at the top.

I think the riser uses longer bolts. But not 100% sure about that. I also looked for some information, but no luck either. I have only worked with one machine that had a riser and I really didn't pay any attention to the details.

Here is what mine looks like. First time I have ever seen one. I assume the BP one is similar.

upload_2017-8-21_15-46-51.png

Had the same head scratcher assembling mine. I ended up using a couple pc of copper wire run up thru 2 of the ram holes to hold spider in place while the ram was positioned on the column. Once it was in place pulling up on the wires I was able to get one of the other bolts threaded into the spider then another. Once the 2 bolts were in I simply pushed the wires thru and they fell out the bottom of the column casting. The other 2 bolts were easy at that point. May not be the official or best method but worked for me.

Back