[Source] Lm10 Renishaw Mag Linear Scale Replacement Vendor Spec.

countryguy

Active User
Registered
From another thread I was chatting about sourcing a replacement for the the renishaw LM10 that Jim knows and loves. I've been itching to upgrade a few of my setups to these types of scales. A used Lathe that needs scales, My BP 815 tool room grinder, my smaller 3:1 mill, needs a good quality scale.

...so the doallrs rack up quick on this stuff. The US/UK equivs in the 1um and 5um magnetic pick-up/tape class that are just out of my price range so I opted to start some dialog w/ the following folks:
http://tinyurl.com/ditron-mag-scales we'll see how this goes and I may pop some Q's up here if I get in over my head :)

Thanks and have a fun day all!
CG .

I'm a little confused by these specs. Maybe it is a poor translation. In your conversation with them maybe they can clarify.

Basic Specification::
1:The accuracy:+\-10um,15um,30,um

Specification of DM series magnetic scale
5:The magnetic scale can output grid digital or analog signal,it can output a series of resolution with 1um,2um,5um,10um,20um and 50um,which can be selected by customers.When the resolution is 1 um,the highest traveling speed can be 4m/s

Sounds like one of those accuracy vs resolution issues.

It would be interesting to do a direct comparison with the Renishaw equipment. I just happen to have the equipment here to do that. I am able to compare the accuracy over about 2 meters and to 1 um. This is not to say that I would be able to prove the absolute accuracy, but rather just compare the end values over distance.

Let me know when you get pricing information. I need more readers also.

Hi all- The Ditron folks replied w/ the following note below in blue. I have sent another note to Delos for quote and left it open for all parties to reply upon (ouch... last time I did this I was slain w/ alibaba' email for months. But hey- I need these. :) ) The prices from Ditron are about 2x what I think I am willing to pay. As soon as I find a source for a read-head around the 50-70$ mark I'll get a sample in the door. Or is that just wishful thinking?

My plan is to just use the Yuri's toy's DRO display based on the $12 arduino my Daughter turned me onto playing with recently. (love having future engineers in the family!) http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html & http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/arduino-basic-dro-controller.html

According to that (my email w/ the LM10 spec),we can supply you the magnetic tape and magnetic read head.And the same sereis model of product is DM-A open type magentic scale

LM10=DM-A
And our Magnetic read head is RS-422 output signal, A/B/Z A'/B'/Z'
output signal resolution
1)DM-A-300mm RS-422 5um 150USD

2)Magnetic tape-5M 5um 150USD
3)Read Head RS-422 5um 125USD(DB9)
4)D60-3V 111USD

Not a bad price on the tape if it's 2mm magnetic line spacing. The RS422 output is good. I wonder what they are offering for a 1um read head. In the ad, they alluded to a programmable read head, including a 1um resolution, I wonder if this is the same. If so then it should output 1um resolution. 5um resolution would give you 0.0002 inches at best, not adequate in my book;)

:) Jim, Jim, ever the-guy-of-uno-tenth' Inspiring! :) K, next update: I did get a few more replies back. Plus I will clarify w/ Ditron what they have going on. Here are the other 2 I sent. 3 total. The #3 quote from Delos looks pretty reasonable! I would wager there could be a little wiggle room here as well, but those prices look the best so far.

From: Michael Li Shenzhen Hengxingxing Precision Instrument
Hello Mr.Jeff,
Good afternoon.
Sorry for replying late, I apologize to you.
Here is the quotation for the goods you need:
The total price is US$ 590.00
including:
/3 axis digital readout(type:GCS900-3DA)--1 piece
/Magnetic scales, 5 micron---3 pieces
300mm
600mm
1000mm

The total price is US$ 253.00
5 Meters of magnetic tape

The total price is US$ 140.00
5 micron magnetic read head with plug/connector

==============================
Shenzhen Delos Electrical Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
Dear Jeffrey,
Thanks for your interest in our products.
For the magnetic scale and the price as follows:
1.300mm magnetic scale:$110
600mm magnetic scale:$122
1000mm magnetic scale:$135

2.5000mm magnetic tape: $180
3. Magnetic sensor : $85
4. 3 axis dro display: $80
5. The cheaper for this kits is linear glass scale.

Best Regards,
Luca

hahaha. That was funny! good reply! OK, I've sent notes back to Delos and Ditron. Delos seems to be the biggest name as I have found their stuff for sale on several other big sites globally.

sidebar:
I have a question on what I need for the new Andreychow lathe I have. If I am going to place an order w/ China and pay some shipping- I may as well put the big new Lathe DRO and some glass scales in there. Do you usually see the long scale for Z on a lathe go the entire way? or is 30-40" the rule of thumb? On X" I'm unsure how long you usually make that also?

I guess I would make the scales the full travel length plus a little bit on both axis, so you can have a bit of over travel on both ends.

Back