[Source] Lm10 Renishaw Mag Linear Scale Replacement Vendor Spec.

Here is a short update. I am going to move ahead with several Mag -Scales for the shop and Arduino projects from Ditron. They have been really great to work with. Quick replies. Answered everyone of my questions, and want to serve the customer no matter your size. (so I think).
I attempted to communicate with over 8 places via Alibaba. Only 3 came back with products and pricing. IT was quickly narrowed down to 1 based on products in 1um and prices.

If anyone wants to know my Acount Mgr. there- Just let me know in a PM and I'll shoot his name and contact info over to you. I am not sure I can really verify these down to 1um next to an LM10 w/o actually buying one... But we should be able to figure out some pulse counts or something??? The fun is in the learning and challenge huh! I guess I do have a few Q's in the text below if anyone wants to chime in there.

What I'm getting:
1)DM-A-300mm 1um qty 2 (Arduino DRO project w/ grinder).
2)D60-3V 3axis Qty 1
3)D60-2V 2axis Qty 1 (home lathe project)
4)DM-A-270mm 1um Qty 1 (home lathe project)
5)DM-A-1200mm 1um Qty 1 (home lathe project)
Shipping cost FedEx 128USD 2-4work days
The hole thing is under $1K as far as pricing goes, they beat anything I could find online anywhere.

My 1st question is about 1um. Is 1um just too much scale for a old 70's engine lathe? No ball screws and can I even glean to 1um? Just wondered. The costs from 5um to 1um was just a $40 bump if I recall - So not much! and I believe it was in the tape. Not the head?? (to confirm).

I went w/ the MD-A style setup as they have a much slimmer profile, are IP67, and noted as typical for lengths under 3300mm.

Anything else to wonder, worry or concern myself w/ at this point?

Magnetic%2Bscale (1).jpg Close%2Btype%2BDM-B (1).jpg DM-A (1).jpg

I am not sure I can really verify these down to 1um next to an LM10 w/o actually buying one... But we should be able to figure out some pulse counts or something???

I don't know any other way to do it. The only way I can think of given the equipment that we have to work with is to do a side by side comparison, count pulses and look at the difference over a long distance and just assume (a bad assumption;)) that the Renishaw is the standard. If we had a full metrology lab, then we could do an absolute comparison against a tracable standard.

My 1st question is about 1um. Is 1um just too much scale for a old 70's engine lathe? No ball screws and can I even glean to 1um? Just wondered. The costs from 5um to 1um was just a $40 bump if I recall - So not much! and I believe it was in the tape. Not the head?? (to confirm).

I just round to the nearest tenth, you can always put a piece of tape over the 4th digit :rolleyes: I suspect it is in the head, the standard tape has 2mm spacing on the poles, but I have seen 1mm tape. All of my tape is 2mm

Anything else to wonder, worry or concern myself w/ at this point?

I think you have it pretty well covered.:)

A Great way to end the weekend- Ditron shipped my order in 2 days, FedX took 3 days to get it from there to here and is already scheduled for tomorrow delivery. Monday seems brighter already!
signed : Kid at Christmas! :geek:

So what is the verdict on the Ditron MD-A scales? Your lack of follow up on this is kind of scary. I hope everything worked out ok...

I finally heard back from Ditron on the 4th of Jan. They said they were waiting until they had a LM10 1um equivalent. They say they have it now but I haven't ordered a sample yet. I'm going to order a read head and 2 meters of tape.

I too was contacted by Ditron as a follow up. I have gotten to know the Sales guy. His name is Jeager and is very responsive. The new read-head offers better distance to tape, and read speeds needed for CNC rapids. Those were the two main items from my conversations with them. I am due to put on an X, Y, and Z positioning setup for my Centroid controller. I just need to get some time. Anyway, Jim is the real authority, and since the LM10's have all but dried up, we'll see where this goes. Jim, I'll send Jeager a note as well. IT's been a crazy few months for me. Just no time w/ the new job.

Ok, just read through these couple of threads.
I'm back on my DRO quest for the Bridgeport, never did find a Mitutoyo replacement scale for the wrecked one.
Take-a-way: Pay attention at the auctions for LM10's (we shall not bring up the auction back in Nov. - I really wish I knew what I was doing...)
I know of Renishaw from back in the days on CMM's and such, had no idea they also did encoders.

what are their RGH encoders products in comparison to the LM10s? There are several up on fleabay right now.
Speaking of which I ran across this tape from a seller in ATL. -=- LINK -=-
Also ran across this LM10 wanna-be. -=- LINK -=- Price is a tad high perhaps. Had a couple of other items that reference LM10.

I toying this week working on the cost of this type of encoder(s) using TouchDRO for the Readout vs. imported glass scales.

I wish there was a way to fab a replacement 'X' scale for the Mitu readout, but I haven't figured it out.

As far as I can tell there is no functional difference between the RGH20 and the LM10, only a different form factor.

I haven't looked through all of the RG20 units on ebay, but the ones I saw are RGH20D-xxxxx, the ''D'' meaning 5um (0.0005 resolution) To get 1um resolution it would have to be a RGH20X

The LM10 clone seems to be priced a bit high. Who knows about quality.

OK, I have a Ditron 1um read head coming, should be here mid next week. I'll get it tested and post the results.

Stay tuned.........:)

Back