Logan 12" expert? Need help replacing cross slide

I think aside from the missing degree markings you have a pretty nice machine there (I sure wouldn't mind one)
There may be another style of compound that has markings or you might could put 'em on yourself- but I would just use it as is and
save money for other tooling, personally.
Mark S.

I think aside from the missing degree markings you have a pretty nice machine there (I sure wouldn't mind one)
There may be another style of compound that has markings or you might could put 'em on yourself- but I would just use it as is and
save money for other tooling, personally.
Mark S.

I think so too. I think if I had the parts sitting here that I could swap it out to a standard (non-turret) screw cutting lathe, I would do it. But since I don't.........

I thought that the set up I have was wrong in that there wasn't enough clearance for the tool post and cutters. I had nothing to compare too. Since others here have pointed out that they have basically the same clearance on their 'standard' lathes, I don't feel like it is an issue.

After getting this home and in place, I found that all the moving parts were very tight and slow to move, hard to get full travel. I filled the oil cups with oil, hit all the ball oilers with several squirts and let her sit overnight. Next day with some mineral spirits to clean the ways and everything moves pretty well. The ways cleaned up with just a rag and mineral spirits and a little application of a nylon brush, and are now bright and shiny and look great.

I'll post complete pics soon. This is part of what will be a pretty awesome tool gloat post in the near future.

I go in stages; first you gloat over the machine, then you gloat over the parts you make LOL
Mark
ps then comes the tool envy, then you're really a goner

I think you may be very happy with the set up you have when you find how well the production crosslide works with a cutoff tool on the backside of a lathe. Many lathe owners would love what you have. You might look at YouTube videos showing what
The back tool post does on turret lathes for some good ideas of how to use the back post. It also works great to time two tools to hold close lengths.
If you run across a complete standard crosslide they are very easy to change over but I would keep the one you have anyway. Same with a Logan turret if you have one I would keep it. Along with the standard tailstock. It's easy with a turret to center then drill and then tap parts.
Jimsehr

Back