1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Logan Lathe

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by matt0matic, Dec 8, 2016.

1. matt0matic

matt0matic United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I've been keep an eye on the Craigslist, and the like, in search of a lathe and mill. This caught my eye and I was hoping to hear the input of those with more experience. I'm looking to do some gunsmithing and would like to be able to thread and chamber my own barrels along with misc. work as I become more experienced with the lathe and machining in general.

He is asking $800; hopefully I will get a SN and part number when he get back to his shop.

Looking for direction before I pull the trigger and end up over my headed because I didn't ask enough questions before I bought.

2. matt0matic

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Seems I cannot upload pictures. Does the forum host images?

3. matt0matic

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

See pictures attached: 00a0a_63FLJ0CcxoG_1200x900.jpg 00O0O_3GDnsyk9ECK_1200x900.jpg

LucknowKen likes this.
  4. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

It looks nice and clean, but I do not see any accessories with it beyond the few attached to it and mentioned. It costs a lot of money to buy tooling for a lathe, and that needs to be considered in the price you pay. What size is the spindle through hole? A lot of barrel work is done through the spindle, so you will ideally be looking for a lathe with at least a 1-3/8" spindle hole, which will usually take 5C collets as well. It is also possible to do barrel work between centers, though I do not know how that compares for all the common operations done in gunsmithing. I am sure someone else here can address that. The barrel and tooling will need to fit between centers in that case, make sure there is room enough to fit the lengths you are interested in working on. Also make sure everything works properly. If you are not competent to do that, bring someone along who is...

Edit: Welcome to the forums!

Tozguy likes this.
  5. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

It does not look to me like you are ready to pull the trigger.

If threading and chambering gun barrels is your objective then you will find there are several ways of doing that on different lathes. My suggestion is to research the subject enough to be able to choose how you want to machine your gun barrels. Then list the dimensions and ALL the equipment you will need to accomplish that. Then you will be ready to pull the trigger for a clean kill. :)

It is research you will have to do eventually anyway. Better to do it before committing to a 'bargain' lathe on CL.

Have a look at Grizzly's lathes equipped for gunsmithing. It might give you one idea of what to look for. With similar objectives as you have, I chose the G0750G type lathe.

It is possible to do barrel work on other styles of lathes but you are not in the position of having to make do with what you have.

Please excuse me if I did not answer your question properly.

Bob Korves likes this.
  6. Ebel440

Ebel440 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Long Island
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I think Logan's have pretty small holes through the spindle at least mine is pretty small. A model 200 is a 10" and the through hole is around .875 I think

7. Mister Ed

Mister Ed United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Fremont
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I certainly cannot tell condition from here, and I know squat about gunsmithing ... but I do believe that is lager than a 10". I think it is a model 25xx, which would be a 14" and have a 1-3/8 spindle.

For $800, I would really have to consider uprading my 10" a heartbeat, if the condition was there.

8. expressline99

expressline99 H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

I'm with Ed I think my 10" would get replaced. (I hope it didn't hear that.) Here that's a decent price with the collets/closer etc if in good condition.

9. Ebel440

Ebel440 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Long Island
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I was just going by what information he gave. But it does look bigger then 10"now that you mention it

10. eeler1

eeler1 United States Dang, buggered that up too!! H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    West Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

That doesn't look like any 10" Logan I've seen. And looks to me like the variable speed version. And the LOO spindle. I'm guessing it's a 12", 1 & 3/8" thru spindle. Nice machine, plenty good for gunsmithing. I've blown $800 on worse things.

CluelessNewB and expressline99 like this.
  11. Mister Ed

City:
    Fremont
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I think eeler1 is correct on 12". That was actually what I meant in my earlier post (brain fart). 14" would be a 65xx (and does look similar).

12. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The one in the picture looks to be a variable speed model, but with threaded spindle. There's not enough space between the chuck and the headstock housing for a L-00 spindle nose. Ken

13. matt0matic

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

It is a Model 1922 Serial #:74599 12"x36" 1-3/8" through spindle.

Given the options of spending $800 on a 1960's Logan or would there be benefits with going to a brand new Grizzly for ~$3500-4k

14. Mister Ed

City:
    Fremont
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Based on the serial number it is a very late '59 production. I will still say it is a 25xx series lathe. A 25xx series would be 12" with 1-3/8" spindle bore.

A 1922 would look like this shot from a Logan sales brochure:
    1922.jpg

15. matt0matic

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Chance they took a 1922 and put it on a cabinet?

16. Mister Ed

City:
    Fremont
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I think a 1900 series on a cabinet would have been a 1955 or similar. And the head stock, belt cover would have the similar curves/lines to the 1922.

If it says 1922 on the plate on the QC gear box ... maybe someone swapped the QC gearbox or plate.

17. matt0matic

City:
    Visalia
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

That is what I'm trying to understand the gear box says 1922

18. Mister Ed

City:
    Fremont
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Here is a link to a 1956 catalogue. take a look at pages 8 & 10 and compare to the pics in the CL ad. Its kinda funny they say 10" in the text and say 13" over on the right side (Logan did not make a 13"). For myself, I still think I would probably be replacing my 10" Logan at that price (if all is in good condition). I cannot comment on its use for gunsmithing though.

OOPS ... forgot the link:
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2093/3389.pdf