Logan Lathe

matt0matic

Registered
Registered
I've been keep an eye on the Craigslist, and the like, in search of a lathe and mill. This caught my eye and I was hoping to hear the input of those with more experience. I'm looking to do some gunsmithing and would like to be able to thread and chamber my own barrels along with misc. work as I become more experienced with the lathe and machining in general.

Logan lathe 10 inch, variable speed, with KDK tool holder, 3 jaw chuck, face plate, collets & draw bar, threading gears. 3 phase motor with 220/240 volt phase converter for home use.

He is asking $800; hopefully I will get a SN and part number when he get back to his shop.

Looking for direction before I pull the trigger and end up over my headed because I didn't ask enough questions before I bought.

It looks nice and clean, but I do not see any accessories with it beyond the few attached to it and mentioned. It costs a lot of money to buy tooling for a lathe, and that needs to be considered in the price you pay. What size is the spindle through hole? A lot of barrel work is done through the spindle, so you will ideally be looking for a lathe with at least a 1-3/8" spindle hole, which will usually take 5C collets as well. It is also possible to do barrel work between centers, though I do not know how that compares for all the common operations done in gunsmithing. I am sure someone else here can address that. The barrel and tooling will need to fit between centers in that case, make sure there is room enough to fit the lengths you are interested in working on. Also make sure everything works properly. If you are not competent to do that, bring someone along who is...

Edit: Welcome to the forums!

It does not look to me like you are ready to pull the trigger.

If threading and chambering gun barrels is your objective then you will find there are several ways of doing that on different lathes. My suggestion is to research the subject enough to be able to choose how you want to machine your gun barrels. Then list the dimensions and ALL the equipment you will need to accomplish that. Then you will be ready to pull the trigger for a clean kill. :)

It is research you will have to do eventually anyway. Better to do it before committing to a 'bargain' lathe on CL.

Have a look at Grizzly's lathes equipped for gunsmithing. It might give you one idea of what to look for. With similar objectives as you have, I chose the G0750G type lathe.

It is possible to do barrel work on other styles of lathes but you are not in the position of having to make do with what you have.

Please excuse me if I did not answer your question properly.

I think Logan's have pretty small holes through the spindle at least mine is pretty small. A model 200 is a 10" and the through hole is around .875 I think

I think Logan's have pretty small holes through the spindle at least mine is pretty small. A model 200 is a 10" and the through hole is around .875 I think
I certainly cannot tell condition from here, and I know squat about gunsmithing ... but I do believe that is lager than a 10". I think it is a model 25xx, which would be a 14" and have a 1-3/8 spindle.

For $800, I would really have to consider uprading my 10" a heartbeat, if the condition was there.

I'm with Ed I think my 10" would get replaced. (I hope it didn't hear that.) Here that's a decent price with the collets/closer etc if in good condition.

I was just going by what information he gave. But it does look bigger then 10"now that you mention it

That doesn't look like any 10" Logan I've seen. And looks to me like the variable speed version. And the LOO spindle. I'm guessing it's a 12", 1 & 3/8" thru spindle. Nice machine, plenty good for gunsmithing. I've blown $800 on worse things.

Back