Looking For Feedback On This Potential Purchase: Powr Kraft Model 84 Tlc-2130

Marvelicious

Registered
Registered
I've been shopping for a while, but the Portland Oregon machine market is not the most friendly. Anyway, I've been in contact with someone recently, and he seems to be a straight shooter. He's recently moved and doesn't have the space for the lathe, but would like to see it go to someone who'll get use out of it. The down side is that it is partially disassembled, but I much prefer this kind of deal to the "I'll give it to the first person with cash" mentality, since I actually live about an hour away out in the sticks...

I've done a bit of homework (read all the online lathe buying guides), but I've never run a lathe so I figured it would be worthwhile to post the pics he sent and see if I can get some more seasoned advice. Included is a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, lantern toolpost and a few other odds and ends... Not really concerned about price advice, since I feel like we're in a fair range assuming that it is a good useable machine, just wanted to see if anyone sees any red flags...

00i0i_8HNkdzzKIBd_600x450_zpsxc4lp8kl.jpg

IMG_1101_zpsrayhjkjj.jpg

IMG_1106_zpsur5ankgz.jpg

IMG_1105_zpsdalvllfk.jpg

IMG_1104_zpsfw3xszgh.jpg

IMG_1102_zpsqvkn6vh1.jpg

IMG_1103_zpst5qzv3b5.jpg

IMG_1100_zpsnqjbflth.jpg

Nobody can really be of that much help under the circumstances. However, from what I see it looks quite nice. I base this solely on the fact that it does not have layers of ghastly paint, and that the compound is not half machined away. If the teeth are all there and the ways look good, I'd be in. Snug the carriage lock a tad and run it back and forth to check bed wear. By the looks of it I'd guess little wear. My sense is I would not be disclosing who had it, and not waiting too long to snap it up!

And it still has the dauber? What's this guy's number? I'll call him for you... Just to make sure it is OK. :grin:

Looks great. Original paint, has dauber, no hits on the compound, original power craft motor. Don't see any negs from here. Make sure you check the back gear for missing teeth. It's tucked under the spindle and easy to over look. Enjoy!

That's about the range of opinions I was hoping for. It definitely looks good to me, but I'm hardly an expert. The guy is out of town for the weekend, but I told him I'd definitely be in touch as soon as he came back. My only concern is that I haven't seen a picture of, or heard any mention of the change gears, but that may be just an oversight. Realistically, even if they aren't there I don't see it as a deal breaker, just a negotiation point.

Same opinion as what the guys have already stated. And I was going to bring up the change gears ... but you beat me to it. Good Luck.

No red flags here, these are sweet little machines and very capable for most purposes. You didn't say what you were going to use it for, but I assume it will do the job for you or you wouldn't be lusting after it. Even has the opening in the rear of the tailstock, so you can have the wrench handle stick out the back when you aren't using it, if you prefer. Budget a few $ to upgrade the tool post, maybe get a few odds and ends for it, and you'd be set.

I've got a pile of hobbies, so nailing down a specific use is difficult. I'm into 4x4's, motorcycles, guns, brewing beer... well, the list goes on.

I'm already eyeing AXA toolposts on eBay...

Now I'm home and can see the pics right. Even the power switch has not been buggered. Change gears can be had anywhere, all over the place. I'd be after that one!

I use the original lantern on my Powercraft 74TLC.
There are some who would consider that bad form.
However, I use a Logan quick change, instead of the interchangable spur gears.
The pics all look good.
Is the headstock tight yet free spinning? Can you move the spindle around inside the headstock bearings?
Are the spindle threads intact and the spindle not overbored?
Check the backlash on the handwheels.
Are the ways clean?
Steady rest, tooling?
Belt condition?

Daryl
MN

Back