Looking For Feedback On This Potential Purchase: Powr Kraft Model 84 Tlc-2130

Unless I'm not thinking entirely clearly, a larger pulley on the motor will make the spindle spin faster, not slower. The way to make this motor work is to put the smallest pulley I can on it.

$70 just for the sake of getting an original pulley seems a bit steep. That money that could be better saved for a VFD in the future. I think I'll make due for now and be happier in the long run with the ability to dial in a speed at will.

I may sound stupid for asking but what's a dauber?
It's the little brass dohickey on the left front of the tailstock. You keep the hole it sits in full of white lead and use the dauber to daub it onto the dead center to lubricate it. It's a rare lathe that still has the original one.

Unless I'm not thinking entirely clearly, a larger pulley on the motor will make the spindle spin faster, not slower. The way to make this motor work is to put the smallest pulley I can on it.

Correct! And I don't think you will find a pulley 1/2 that circumference How ever going on the above post for the size pulley you should be somewhere around your high speed range.
Mark

John thanks now I know.

Marvelisious, See what I am saying about the Pulley it looks like what is on your motor is about 2-1/4 it was stated above that a 2-1/4 & 4-1/4 were the stock pulleys. If I recall that would make the 4-1/4" about 13.3" and 2-1/4" is about 7" factor in X2 of the motor and you are close. Bad news is I think you would need a 1.125 pulley to correct the low speed. This is if I am thinking right.
Mark

I haven't measured that pulley yet, but that's about how the math came out in my head as well. I think the thing to do is save for the vfd and 3 phase motor and put that motor on ebay afterward. A matching motor has "cool factor", but variable speed at a touch is more useful.

Hey, Marvelicious.
Congratulations on your lathe purchase. It looks like a solid lathe that will be a good start to take it as far as you decide. Now you can start having fun getting it set up, tooled, and fix what needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure what the original pulley size is on your lathe. If it is the same as a Logan 200, there is one on eBay right now. It is listed with pulley sizes 2 1/4 & 4 1/4 with 5/8 shaft. It might not be there very long.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-10...203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41935e97ab
Good luck with your new toy.
that pulley size is correct for that lathe also.

correct on the pulley sizes. I reversed the driven vs the driving. That stock pulley is about as small as you can get and still have enough meat left to get a set screw in it. It's very difficult to find anything smaller than it. I couldn't.

It's hard to argue against the advantages of a vfd.

even lf you go with a VFD, l would still get the factory double pulley, To give yourself all the speed options (ranges) you can get.
Might even want to go with at least a 1HP on you 3 phase motor, just in case there is any torque loss at low(er) speeds.
Look for a VFD , IIRC the feature is called "vectorless" drive.
This is said to NOT lose torque at lower speeds.

Redlineman, you are spot on finding a pulley that small for that shaft and belt size. Even if you made one the possibility of the belt jumping become to high for my liking. The point I was throwing out there was He should be fine to run with out fear of burning up the spindle bearings. Until Of course he gets a VFD. But the good news is he got him what looks like a fine little lathe and it came with a good excuse to add VFD.:applause 2:
Mark

Back