[Source] Looking For Inserts For A Kennametal Tool Holder

pmat

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for inserts for this holder. I don't know where to look. I tried eBay but didn't see any that matched the codes on the holder. Thanks, Paul
IMG_2131.JPG

Bad pic but I think it says KTDR 12. I googled that number and came up with a pic of tool and I think it takes a TPG 322 insert.
jimsehr

Bad pic but I think it says KTDR 12. I googled that number and came up with a pic of tool and I think it takes a TPG 322 insert.
jimsehr
On the side it says:
INSERT BTC 12G BTC 12 KTDR 12C

there are phone numbers on the kennametal home page you can call for customer support.
hope this helps.
Dan

PMAT:

That is an antique... I worked for Kennametal for 35 years and Widia for another 4+ and I have never seen a holder stamped with that many numbers and letters. KTDR-12C = K/Kennametal, T/Triangle, D/15 deg. lead, R/Right Hand, 12/Twelve Sixteenths height and width (3/4"), C/5" OAL. It is such an old holder and it is not offset so I believe that 15 degrees is correct for the "D" lead angle. If the head of the tool is offset, the letter "R" would represent 15 degrees. The nomenclature had me a bit stumped so I took a look at a couple of my old triangular insert holders and the insert letters for similar tools are stamped TP-32, which indicates TPG (all surfaces ground), or TPU (molded, but ground top and bottom) and the insert IC and thickness as: 3/8" IC (Inscribed Circle), 2/16" thick (1/8") and no specification for nose radius. When the ANSI system was adopted by the metal-cutting industry, nomenclatures changed somewhat. That is a good holder and triangular inserts are very universal. The inserts
are common to nearly every carbide manufacturer and are among the lowest cost inserts you can find. Keep an eye out for sales at MSC and ENCO for TPG's and look for brand names like Kennametal, Seco, Sandvik, and others. Uncoated grades are just fine, look for K313, K68, 883, 370, H13A... you can't go wrong with any of them.

Good Luck with your new tool!
Best Regards, Gary

PMAT:

That is an antique... I worked for Kennametal for 35 years and Widia for another 4+ and I have never seen a holder stamped with that many numbers and letters. KTDR-12C = K/Kennametal, T/Triangle, D/15 deg. lead, R/Right Hand, 12/Twelve Sixteenths height and width (3/4"), C/5" OAL. It is such an old holder and it is not offset so I believe that 15 degrees is correct for the "D" lead angle. If the head of the tool is offset, the letter "R" would represent 15 degrees. The nomenclature had me a bit stumped so I took a look at a couple of my old triangular insert holders and the insert letters for similar tools are stamped TP-32, which indicates TPG (all surfaces ground), or TPU (molded, but ground top and bottom) and the insert IC and thickness as: 3/8" IC (Inscribed Circle), 2/16" thick (1/8") and no specification for nose radius. When the ANSI system was adopted by the metal-cutting industry, nomenclatures changed somewhat. That is a good holder and triangular inserts are very universal. The inserts
are common to nearly every carbide manufacturer and are among the lowest cost inserts you can find. Keep an eye out for sales at MSC and ENCO for TPG's and look for brand names like Kennametal, Seco, Sandvik, and others. Uncoated grades are just fine, look for K313, K68, 883, 370, H13A... you can't go wrong with any of them.

Best Regards, Gary

Gary,
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed explanation. I picked up the holder at a lawn sale in Waldoboro, Maine, paid 5 bucks I think. Most of my tools and machinery are antiques and have come at low cost. Seems like a lot of old time machine shops have closed. Yet the area I live in has lots of machinists, welders and other craftsmen do to the presence of the shipyard (Bath Iron Works) nearby.

Thanks again,
Paul

PMAT:

Best Regards, Gary
I see a lot of these older tool holders for sale on ebay and I own some of them. What year do you think these were made and if I tried to find the definitions of the nomenclature like KTGR, KTAR, KTDR where could I get that? Also how can I identify what the side rake and the back rake will be? I have a lot of different inserts and holders, but have quite a few of the TPG-322. I'm on a 10F atlas lathe also so not a lot of power or load.
So Kennametal has changed their nomenclature at least once since these were made. Maybe you could fill us in on what happened between then and today. Tell us a story, Gary.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Back