[Source] Looking for SS18-8 M5 washers, 1mm thick, -> 8mm od<-

adamgoldberg

Registered
Registered
(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...)

I'm looking for SS18-8 M5 washers, 1mm thick, ~5.3mm id, 8mm od. No luck at McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger, etc.

Any ideas?

That is going to be special. Try Fastenal if that doesn't pan out time to get some 8mm rod and make them

This is one of the reasons I'm kind of looking for a punch press.

Daryl
MN

Fastenal doesn't have them either. An M5 washer is either 10mm od, or 9mm od for skinny ones.

Someone pointed out on another thread somewhere that McMaster-Carr has "Metric Split Lock Washers for Socket Head Screws", which are "[a]lso known as high-collar lock washers, these have smaller outside diameters than standard split lock washers to fit neatly under socket head cap screws". The M5 in 18-8 is their part number 91111A124. Unfortunately, they're 1.5mm thick, which is 0.5mm more than what I'm looking for (and they're lock washers, which is not quite what I'm looking for either, but would probably work).

Someone else suggested getting the standard M5 washers, either 9 or 10mm od, and use a bench grinder. That'd work too.

But I was really looking for an off-the-shelf washer. And the real solution for that seems to be www.bokers.com; they have washers in a huge number of non-standard sizes, and can make them to whatever your requirements are. I'm awaiting a quote from them, but suspect (for my small quantity) it'll be expensive.

Fastenal doesn't have them either. An M5 washer is either 10mm od, or 9mm od for skinny ones.

Someone pointed out on another thread somewhere that McMaster-Carr has "Metric Split Lock Washers for Socket Head Screws", which are "[a]lso known as high-collar lock washers, these have smaller outside diameters than standard split lock washers to fit neatly under socket head cap screws". The M5 in 18-8 is their part number 91111A124. Unfortunately, they're 1.5mm thick, which is 0.5mm more than what I'm looking for (and they're lock washers, which is not quite what I'm looking for either, but would probably work).

Someone else suggested getting the standard M5 washers, either 9 or 10mm od, and use a bench grinder. That'd work too.

But I was really looking for an off-the-shelf washer. And the real solution for that seems to be www.bokers.com; they have washers in a huge number of non-standard sizes, and can make them to whatever your requirements are. I'm awaiting a quote from them, but suspect (for my small quantity) it'll be expensive.

If I read this correctly you can find washers of the right material, ID, and thickness but the OD is too big. Why not make a mandrel and turn the OD to the size you need? Or am I missing something?

Tom S.

You could try Global Metrics. They're a small business in SF Bay Area. Super Nice. No website. Alway's been really helpful with good pricing. They alway had a great selection of metric fastener.

Global Metrics
519 Marine View Ave # K, Belmont, CA 94002
(650) 592-2722

Back