racecar builder

Registered
Registered
any user's out there?
how are any of these CNC controller programs
working for you?

Have A Nice Day!

fireball_v90.jpg

I think it will depend more on what operating system your more familiar with and how much you want to spend... mach3 several hundred dollars... ubuntu/emc2 FREE..
I'm setting my computer up with a dual boot setup, winXP/mach3 and also ubuntu/emc2.

My design software is windows based, so more than likely I'll go with the winXP/mach3 so I can have the design software in the shop also... Then again I might use ubuntu/emc2 and just use a large flash drive from my design computer to the cnc control computer..

I havent made up my mind yet, but the only two control software I would even consider would be mach3 or the emc2, they are pretty much industry standard in the hobby world..

the biggest problem I find with ubuntu is I woukld like to run wifi on it, ubuntu gives me fits with wifi, other than that I would run it as I find it more stable than XP, plus ubuntu/emc2 is free and works good on older computers...

brucer
when you to use 2 operating systems the hot tip
is to use a two hard drives and a hardware hard drive switch.
windows is notorious for overwriting partitons, etc.
like for instance mine right now is on win 7.
when i want to change to PCBSD i do this:
1 shut down win
2 switch to #2 hard drive
3 hit power switch
3 PCBSD starts up.
when i did it 500 gig hd was $60, switch was $30.
money well spent.

Have A Nice Day!

I used Vector a few years ago and loved it for the tool path altering. I have EMC2 and it works good on Linux. I am going to try Inkscape for gears and it seems to have a lot of features and is loaded on my Win7. I have to see if I can inport it to EMC2.
Paul

bruce
i think ubuntu has a 32 or 64 bit selection during install.
i mentioned mach3 because it's popular.
what do you think about hard drive switch?:)

pjf
what's vector?

Have A Nice Day!

I've found Ubuntu and EMC2 to be very easy to customize. I've created buttons on my install to do an offset for the plasma torch and router from my laser cross hair. I also added a button to do a Z touch off which raises the tool 3/4" after touch off and compensates for the touch plate. It runs well and is easy to get set up initially. As an added bonus it's free.

I would probably use 2 hard drives and just load windows on one and ubuntu on the other, no need for a switch.. You have the option to choose which hard drive to use on boot up because you choose which hard drives to install the OS on..
When you install ubuntu, you can put it on a partition and windows wont write on that partition or hard drive that ubuntu is on, unless you choose to...

I feel the best way to do it would be to have 3 hard drives, one drive being external usb hard drive for file storage and have your operating systems and control software separate on the other 2 hard drives.... dont run raid, its not needed.

yes ubuntu does have the option of either 32 or 64bit, but the problem is the control software (emc2 or mach3) doesnt run on a 64bit operating systems.. something about the parallel port doesnt function correctly. this is the reason why you see so many running ubuntu/emc2 or winxp/mach3 its proven to perform and from what I've been told the setups are easy and straight forward..

Back