Mach 3, Kcam, TurboCNC or EMC2 Users

Vector is a program that I use after I insert a AutoCad dxf file into it and pick my tool path or let it do it for me. I have not used it for awhile, but I think you can draw in it too. It makes codes also. It was very easy to use, I did learn it in one day on the job. I do hope it works with Linus system as I have not tryed it yet.
Paul

I would probably use 2 hard drives and just load windows on one and ubuntu on the other, no need for a switch.. You have the option to choose which hard drive to use on boot up because you choose which hard drives to install the OS on..
When you install ubuntu, you can put it on a partition and windows wont write on that partition or hard drive that ubuntu is on, unless you choose to...

Bruce,
You can actually install Ubuntu from Windows and it is nothing more than a file when viewing from windows. You get the option to boot from Ubuntu or Windows on startup and both can be on the same drive. There's a file on the Ubuntu disk that will initiate this type of install. There's also some free CAD software for Ubuntu although I don't know how good it is. SheetCam also has a Linux installation too. As for creating DXF files Inkscape for Linux does fairly well.

yes gadget you can install ubuntu just like any other program and run it from within windows.. I think its called wubi if I remember correctly
I've never done that type of install but have seen it in action, the only reason I wouldnt want to do that is if something happened to the windows install your done with both at that point, at least with 2 separate hd's you have a backup plan if something happens...

I wouldnt care to have the linux files mingling around within windows myself, Do you know how well the parallel port would work doing that?

Last edited:
Bruce, the unit I have set up like that is a test machine for my DXF files and also the the EMC2 test version I use to test customizations. I only have it running a virtual machine so I don't know how the parallel port works with it. Mine is set up where you select the OS at boot time. You don't start a virtual Linux within windows so I would expect the parallel to work just fine.

gadget

statement #1
'I've found Ubuntu and EMC2 to be very easy to customize. I've created buttons on my install to do an offset for the plasma torch and router from my laser cross hair. I also added a button to do a Z touch off which raises the tool 3/4" after touch off and compensates for the touch plate.'

statement #2
'the unit I have set up like that is a test machine for my DXF files and also the the EMC2 test version I use to test customizations. I only have it running a virtual machine so I don't know how the parallel port works with it. Mine is set up where you select the OS at boot time.'

could you sort this out for us?:)

bob

gadget

statement #1
'I've found Ubuntu and EMC2 to be very easy to customize. I've created buttons on my install to do an offset for the plasma torch and router from my laser cross hair. I also added a button to do a Z touch off which raises the tool 3/4" after touch off and compensates for the touch plate.'

Sure Bob,
Here's a link to the thread I used when customizing EMC2 for the on screen buttons for touchoff plate and tool offset from cross hair laser.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/linuxcnc_formerly_emc2/62423-touch-off_plate_cnc_router.html
Here's a video demonstration of the functions working on my CNC table.
[video=youtube;8zDpMoa_heI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zDpMoa_heI[/video]

gadget
statement #2
'the unit I have set up like that is a test machine for my DXF files and also the the EMC2 test version I use to test customizations. I only have it running a virtual machine so I don't know how the parallel port works with it. Mine is set up where you select the OS at boot time.'

could you sort this out for us?:)

bob
For statement 2 I have a Windows machine that I installed Ubuntu on through Windows (there's a file on the Ubuntu disk to do this). At boot time you have the option of booting to Windows or Ubuntu. The Ubuntu install is just a file that runs, not a separate partition on the drive. I don't have this machine hooked to my CNC table, I just use it to make sure my GCode is working as expected before actually cutting something. I also use it to test the touch off function. I've hooked a parallel cable to the machine and just use the wires used for the touch off function with a push button switch and pull up resistor in the circuit.

Back