Mach3 and the spindle control

John, do you have a better nomenclature for an input that requires only a contact closure for operation?

Normally open contact. "Dry" is implied by the fact that it's a control input to a circuit board. Any low-voltage, low current switch or relay such as a microswitch or control relay will work.

If the external device was expected to supply voltage the documentation would say something like "+5V active high".

Fun fact!

I once asked my electronics professor why these so called "dry" contacts were called as such, and if there were "Wet" contacts. I was informed that there in fact used to be "wet" contacts! The contacts were wetted with mercury, to increase conductivity and sensitivity. Obviously these were phased out due to toxicity, as well as "dry" contact technology improving drastically.

Now a days, a dry contact is any type of contact closure, normally closed or open. While most often referring to control components, the term is used colloquially for many uses.

As for the topic at hand, spindle control with mach 3, this can be done many ways. Most often is with a board that has an analog output, linked to a VFD. I have also seen it done with an RS-232 interface. Either a DC motor or 3 phase motor with VFD is the way to go, a stepper would be inappropriate for a spindle.

-Cody

Not using a stepper, it's the stock 1.5hp DC motor. But it is treated like a stepper in Mach.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Everyone keeps saying how easy it is and says to follow the schematic in the C6 manual! But there is no specific G0704/BF20 diagram. Is the G0704/BF20 board the same as the KBIC? I have googled this topic up and down but no one ever actually gives the specifics of the wiring. Someone please help?

Look on the board in your mill - SHOULD be a KBIC 120 (maybe 240).

There's diagrams of the KBIC all over the net which really helps.
If you're running the stock "G0704" motor, remember that it's NOT the shunt variety of DC motor. Just two wires go to it.

That's exactly what I needed. It is a KBIC 120! That makes it alot easier!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Back