Machine Table Covers?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Do you guys have covers on your miling machines while the vice is in use?

Like this one;

IMG_20150109_181445729_zpsi8o3l8ru.jpg

This is 1/4" hardboard with oak strips on the sides and a quick coat of urethane. Works nice, brush the vise off on to the covers and take the covers to the trash can and dump it in. The vise is shifted off to one side in this picture so some of the table is exposed.

Yes. I use 1/8" hardboard though.
Cheap and effective. Rather than mess with setting up my table saw I have home depot use their panel saw to rip a 4x8 sheet into 12" wide strips. Cut to length i do at home by score and break with a box cutter like drywall. set my vise on top w/o the key and trace the outline and coping saw the profile.

I don't, but it's a good idea. I doubt it would be a great benefit if you did a lot of flycutter work though. But then, it's common to see chip deflectors on that op, so it would have to help some. If you run flood coolant you'd need to perforate that, and make it out of metal.

I do not... yet. I love the idea and suspect that a set of covers will be one of my next projects. I'd better get a move on though, as the weather will soon be too cold to be messing with the table saw out in the garage.

What a great idea! I just knew these doilies i've been using could be improved upon.

I made some out of magnetic vinyl vent covers I got cheap at Home Depot. They work great.

I've been using a hard rubber sheet material (gasket material?). I am not sure what the original application was, but I thought it looked like handy material. It is heavy enough it stays in place pretty well. So far, I have not had any chips imbed.

I figured I could cut another profile into the other end, for a different table attachment. So far, I've just left them square and move them around to keep most chips out of the table.

DSCF7265.JPG

embarrassingly, i have a worn out dollar store teenage ninja turtle placemat that was bisected and held in place with small magnets

Back