Machine Tachometer kits

Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES' started by Rick Leslie, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Rick Leslie

Rick Leslie Active Members Active Member

City:
    Macon
    State:
    Georgia
    I ran across this today and thought it would be useful to a lot of hobby machinists. The seller is a very friendly guy and I believe has been doing this for quite a while. As soon as I have a few extra dollars, I'll be picking up one or two.

http://www.machtach.com/

If this is in the wrong section, please move it or tell me. I wasn't sure where it belonged.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia
    I just got my third one running today. They do a great job at a really good price. They are also a small project in themselves.

Two thumbs up. :thumbsup:

3. JT.

JT. Active Members Active Member

City:
    home
    State:
    Outside US / Canada
    finaly that is what i need i am lookinf for those sort of kit for weeks

thx a lot

4. Kennyd

Kennyd Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Westminster
    State:
    Maryland
  5. Rick Leslie

Rick Leslie Active Members Active Member

City:
    Macon
    State:
    Georgia
    Great! Could we see some pics?

6. Old Iron

Old Iron Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
  7. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Active Members Active Member

City:
    Elkhorn
    State:
    Nebraska
    What is it that you like better about it? Just curious.

Thanks,

-Ron

P.S. A pic of the MachTach I built - still haven't taken the time to install it. :eek: [​IMG]

8. Hawkeye

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia
  9. wa5cab

wa5cab Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas
    Rick,

To answer your question at the beginning of this thread, it probably belonged in Machine Accessories, up at the top of the Forums list, since it wasn't something you were looking to buy or had for sale. But a number of people seem to have found the thread so unless Tony thinks it would be better moved, I'm just going to leave it here.

As a comment on the actual subject, I prefer analog meters for this sort of thing. If the speed hunts a little, they are much easier to follow, especially out the corner of your eye if you are watching three other things. Digital has some advantages and several disadvantages. As with frequency, voltage or current indicators in other electronics applications, people don't waste so much time trying to make that last digit read exactly what the "book" says. Unfortunately, the only way to get such things today is to build it yourself.

Robert D.

10. GoMopar440

GoMopar440 Active Members Active Member

City:
    Anaconda
    State:
    Montana
    I bought three of the half size Mach Tach kits recently for my Bridgeport J-head mill, Atlas 10x54 lathe and the HF mini mill. My Micro Mark 7x14 lathe already had a tach built in. Guy has recently handed the operation of selling the kits and parts back over to the inventor, Henry, and everything is back up to speed after the transition based on my experience with them.

There's also a Yahoo Group for the Mach Tach ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MachTach/ ) that taps into the user knowledge base that's open for anyone to join if they have any questions, tips or advice. They're a pretty friendly, albiet small, group of people over there.

Here's a pic of the enclosure I'll be using for the half size kits. It's made by Hammond Mfg. (# 1550D) and is cast aluminum which should help with EMI/RFI shielding when I switch to a VFD setup on the Bridgeport and Atlas. There's quite a few other options out there that will also fit the kit. Just be sure to account the wall thickness of the enclosure as well as the screw posts and any PCB standoffs in other boxes. I didn't realize that when I ordered some other boxes (Hammond Mfg. #1590A) and had to send them back to get these bigger ones.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. Tony Wells

Tony Wells Administrator Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Robert, please go ahead and move it. I believe more people will see it under machine accessories. Leave a redirect for 1 week.

Thanks.

12. ScrapMetal

City:
    Elkhorn
    State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for listing those enclosures. I was looking for something just like that. Just fired off an order to Mouser Electronics for them. :thumbzup:

-Ron

13. GoMopar440

GoMopar440 Active Members Active Member

City:
    Anaconda
    State:
    Montana
    Glad to help. When you get the enclosures you'll still need to cut-out the opening for the display and plugs as well as drill the holes for the mounting screws and LED. There's a diagram I got from the Yahoo group that shows all the locations for the holes but you have to be a member there to access the file. I already saved it to my computer so I just uploaded it to photobucket so I can pass it around.
    [​IMG]

I also created a half size faceplate printout using the original full size one as a guide. I haven't stretched the outside edges of the printout to match the size of the 1550D box yet, but it's easy to do in MS Paint. I'll be uploading a corrected version in a few days when I get around to matching it up to the new box size.
    [​IMG]

14. ScrapMetal

City:
    Elkhorn
    State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks again. I'll post the results of installing my MachTach into the box.

-Ron

15. kd4gij

kd4gij Active Members Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida
  16. ddushane

ddushane Active Members Active Member

City:
    Andrews
    State:
    Texas
    This looks pretty cool, I'd like to put these on my lathes, just another "To Do" entry in my book,

17. Ghoulardi

Ghoulardi Active Members Active Member

City:
    Berea
    State:
    Ohio
    Not to rain on anybody's parade... But I got a "Laser tach" on E-bay for abvout $20 and just put pieces of thre reflective tape on all my spindles. Seems a lot easier and cheaper and quicker to get back to making parts too.

18. ScrapMetal

City:
    Elkhorn
    State:
    Nebraska
    I don't think you're "raining on the parade", those inexpensive optical tachs do have their place. What the MachTach (and others) give you that you don't get with those is a display of "surface feet per minute", the ability to customize the install to the machine (finding a spot to "tape on" the optical unit can be tricky but the sensor from the MachTach is a little easier to place), and a chance to put together an electronics kit (build stuff).

JMHO

-Ron

19. Kennyd

Kennyd Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Westminster
    State:
    Maryland
    It's sunny here! I got mine for about $14 at Amazon...and I still bought two Tachulator's.

20. Hawkeye

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia
    My laser tach eats batteries. I have to pull one out when I put it away. The MachTachs on my machines are ready to go when I turn on the machine's power.