Machine Tachometer kits

Rick Leslie

Active User
Registered
I ran across this today and thought it would be useful to a lot of hobby machinists. The seller is a very friendly guy and I believe has been doing this for quite a while. As soon as I have a few extra dollars, I'll be picking up one or two.

http://www.machtach.com/

If this is in the wrong section, please move it or tell me. I wasn't sure where it belonged.

I just got my third one running today. They do a great job at a really good price. They are also a small project in themselves.

Two thumbs up. :thumbsup:

finaly that is what i need i am lookinf for those sort of kit for weeks

thx a lot

Rick,

To answer your question at the beginning of this thread, it probably belonged in Machine Accessories, up at the top of the Forums list, since it wasn't something you were looking to buy or had for sale. But a number of people seem to have found the thread so unless Tony thinks it would be better moved, I'm just going to leave it here.

As a comment on the actual subject, I prefer analog meters for this sort of thing. If the speed hunts a little, they are much easier to follow, especially out the corner of your eye if you are watching three other things. Digital has some advantages and several disadvantages. As with frequency, voltage or current indicators in other electronics applications, people don't waste so much time trying to make that last digit read exactly what the "book" says. Unfortunately, the only way to get such things today is to build it yourself.

Robert D.

I bought three of the half size Mach Tach kits recently for my Bridgeport J-head mill, Atlas 10x54 lathe and the HF mini mill. My Micro Mark 7x14 lathe already had a tach built in. Guy has recently handed the operation of selling the kits and parts back over to the inventor, Henry, and everything is back up to speed after the transition based on my experience with them.

There's also a Yahoo Group for the Mach Tach ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MachTach/ ) that taps into the user knowledge base that's open for anyone to join if they have any questions, tips or advice. They're a pretty friendly, albiet small, group of people over there.

Here's a pic of the enclosure I'll be using for the half size kits. It's made by Hammond Mfg. (# 1550D) and is cast aluminum which should help with EMI/RFI shielding when I switch to a VFD setup on the Bridgeport and Atlas. There's quite a few other options out there that will also fit the kit. Just be sure to account the wall thickness of the enclosure as well as the screw posts and any PCB standoffs in other boxes. I didn't realize that when I ordered some other boxes (Hammond Mfg. #1590A) and had to send them back to get these bigger ones.
2013-01-21191541.jpg

2013-01-21191541.jpg

Last edited:
Back