Machine Tachometer kits

Robert, please go ahead and move it. I believe more people will see it under machine accessories. Leave a redirect for 1 week.

Thanks.

Here's a pic of the enclosure I'll be using for the half size kits. It's made by Hammond Mfg. (# 1550D) and is cast aluminum which should help with EMI/RFI shielding when I switch to a VFD setup on the Bridgeport and Atlas. There's quite a few other options out there that will also fit the kit. Just be sure to account the wall thickness of the enclosure as well as the screw posts and any PCB standoffs in other boxes. I didn't realize that when I ordered some other boxes (Hammond Mfg. #1590A) and had to send them back to get these bigger ones.

Thanks for listing those enclosures. I was looking for something just like that. Just fired off an order to Mouser Electronics for them. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Glad to help. When you get the enclosures you'll still need to cut-out the opening for the display and plugs as well as drill the holes for the mounting screws and LED. There's a diagram I got from the Yahoo group that shows all the locations for the holes but you have to be a member there to access the file. I already saved it to my computer so I just uploaded it to photobucket so I can pass it around.
CustomInstallCutout3halfsize.gif

I also created a half size faceplate printout using the original full size one as a guide. I haven't stretched the outside edges of the printout to match the size of the 1550D box yet, but it's easy to do in MS Paint. I'll be uploading a corrected version in a few days when I get around to matching it up to the new box size.
Panel_Overlay_halfsizewhite.gif

CustomInstallCutout3halfsize.gif

Panel_Overlay_halfsizewhite.gif

Thanks again. I'll post the results of installing my MachTach into the box.

-Ron

This looks pretty cool, I'd like to put these on my lathes, just another "To Do" entry in my book,

Not to rain on anybody's parade... But I got a "Laser tach" on E-bay for abvout $20 and just put pieces of thre reflective tape on all my spindles. Seems a lot easier and cheaper and quicker to get back to making parts too.

Not to rain on anybody's parade... But I got a "Laser tach" on E-bay for abvout $20 and just put pieces of thre reflective tape on all my spindles. Seems a lot easier and cheaper and quicker to get back to making parts too.

I don't think you're "raining on the parade", those inexpensive optical tachs do have their place. What the MachTach (and others) give you that you don't get with those is a display of "surface feet per minute", the ability to customize the install to the machine (finding a spot to "tape on" the optical unit can be tricky but the sensor from the MachTach is a little easier to place), and a chance to put together an electronics kit (build stuff).

JMHO

-Ron

It's sunny here! I got mine for about $14 at Amazon...and I still bought two Tachulator's.

My laser tach eats batteries. I have to pull one out when I put it away. The MachTachs on my machines are ready to go when I turn on the machine's power.

Back