Machining in WW2

Fun to watch, Thanks for posting.

Very cool. Man did you see the condition of those machines, old south bends, very cool double ram horizontal mill too.

Thanks for posting, Old iron to many of them went to scrap.

I was looking fow WW2 movies and this vid popped up. I couldn't resist posting it. Just too cool to not post.

Funny thing was I think I only saw one guy with safety glasses and he was using the surface grinder.

Reactions: Z2V
Reminds me of junior and high school shop classes. By the time I graduated those types of jobs were already beginning to vanish out here
in the West. I ended up going into electronics but I could just as well have ended up a tool and die guy. Now I'm doing at home some of what I never got a chance to do professionally.
Mark S.

You had it better than me, MY highshool had 2 welders and single drill press, and a bunch of hand tools. By my senior year, I had more hand tools and auto shop tools than the school did at that point. Of course my school only had 43 in the graduating class, and that was the largest in over 10 years.

That's the way I was taught vocational, had drafting , metallurgy, trigonometry. After graduation we had night school for two more years . To finish out our apprenticeship. Wouldn't have missed any of it.

Back