Made A New Toy Today

That's cool! :encourage: Haven't see one of those before. Nice work!

I'm guessing the ring is machined from the inside end of one of the balls and then parted off. Pretty cool. Mike

OP, nicely done! Great surface finish too. Did you have to put tape or something on the central shaft to keep the ring from scoring up the part once it was parted off or did you do some polishing afterward?

Wow! This is so far beyond me I wont even ask how you did it.

Don't put yourself down. You just haven't made something like this yet :)

Beautifully done, Jim. :beer:

Hell, I'll ask... how did you machine your toy?

I think I know how he did it because I made a double headed bolt with a captive nut in the middle, like this one.

DPP_01.JPG

But, I ain't telling. :grin:

Tom

Edit: Please forgive the huge image size. It wasn't nearly that big in the preview. I'm trying to find out how to reduce it. If any moderators know how, please do. Thanks. Tom

Last edited:
Beautifully done, Jim. :beer:

I think I know how he did it because I made a double headed bolt with a captive nut in the middle, like this one.

But, I ain't telling. :grin:

Tom

I don't think he used that method. I think I know how he roughed out the ring, but I don't know how he finished it.

Just trying to think of a good way to turn a donut like that is making my head hurt, without even trying to do it with a dumbbell going through the middle.

Last edited:
Just trying to think of a good way to turn a donut like that is making my head hurt, without even trying to do it with a dumbbell going through the middle.
It should be fairly easy to make a doughnut with a ball turner. The radius of the ball turner is set to the cross sectional radius of the doughnut and the center of rotation of the ball turner is set to the diameter of the doughnut. Turn the bulk of the doughnut, leaving a central web and carefully finish by turning away the web. There would be some cleanup to remove the last remnants of the web.

Bob

Back