Magnetic Swarf Wand Plans ?

oldgascar

Active User
Registered
As I look on the internet, I see a number of magnet wands for sale in Australia, to pick up swarf in he shop, but the few I see here in the U.S. are quite expensive.
So I am now looking for plans to make my own. Does anyone know of any plans available ?

I have a great magnetic floor sweeper , but I really want a smaller wand for the mill, lathe etc.

Bob F.

Lou. , Ky.

They make a gadget for gold prospecting to separate magnetic black sand from gold, its a pushbutton gadget maybe 2 inches in diameter. You push the plunger on top which moves the magnet inside close enough to the bottom to pick up any black sand or in this case metal swarf. Simply release the plunger which moves the magnet far enough away that anything picked up falls off. Not sure if that would work.

A mighty-mag in a zip-lock bag works great. Could realy be any magnet. :shhh:

MrPete222 has a video on building one from copper pipe and fittings.

I think waving a magnet around a machine is a bad idea. If you leave any residual magnetism in the machine from waving a magnet around it. Then micro magnetic swarf will stick to it and that would be a bad thing for the moving parts of the machine. I would use a vacuum. And a vacuum also picks up non-magnetic swarf as well. My 2 cents, Dave.

Sorry about that, when posting from mobile it's a pain to copy-paste links.

That is perfect. I found a (1" o.d. X .200 " long) rare earth magnet on line, which will slide nicely in a
piece of 1" schedule L copper pipe with an i.d. Of 1.025 or a schedule M piece with an i.d. Of 1.055 . Thanks for the
Link. This will be a heck of a lot cheaper than those listed on line around $70 + dollars

Back