Making a RCGT boring bar

RHayes

Registered
Registered
What is the best way to cut a pocket for a RCGT1003MO insert. From what I have found, the insert has 7 deg. side angle, is 10mm at top, and approximately 9 mm at bottom, and 4mm thick. I would like to cut a pocket for this size at the end of bar, then drill for what i believe is a M4x10 screw. Any thoughts? I have a Bridgeport and some various holding possibilities.

I'm curious how the round insert will perform in a boring bar. I have RCGT holders, in a boring bar I bet it will chatter, can only take small DOCs, & only good for short depths.

May I ask what your purpose for a round insert boring bar is for?

I'm curious how the round insert will perform in a boring bar. I have RCGT holders, in a boring bar I bet it will chatter, can only take small DOCs, & only good for short depths.

May I ask what your purpose for a round insert boring bar is for?
Profiling with a specific maximum radius on the features with a manual machine, I do internal ball sockets with a full radius tool, not the best choice for straight boring however. Easy to program though.

Sorry I wasn't clear on the use. It will be used in a wood lathe, hand held while supported on tool rest. The cutting action will be from shear cutting to scraping. These are available commercially, some just mill a flat spot and screw the insert down. I would like to install the insert in a tight fitting pocket and am guessing what I would need is a 7 deg. tapered end mill with the tip matching the base of the insert, and 4mm up from the tip would very closely be 10mm. A custom made mill would probably be out of the question.

Back