1. NOTE: THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL 501(C)(3) NOT FOR PROFIT SITE!
    The purpose of this site is to promote the hobby of machining and help people learn. No one makes a profit from this site. We are not going to sell your information to third parties, plant tracking cookies on your computer, or try to sell you magazines or books.  Our staff are all volunteers.  Your donations support our educational mission.   When you participate on THIS site, you are not making someone else rich. Click here to join us!

(Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Manufacturers - We have a forum for many different manufactures of home-shop machinery, and would welcome someone from your company joining our forum and providing tech support to our members for your products . Of course, this would cost you nothing, and would provide a great service to our members. Please contact Nels if this might be of interest to you. 

Dismiss Notice

Dismiss Notice

Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Discussion in 'GUNSMITHING & FIREARMS' started by Alphawolf45, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Alphawolf45

Alphawolf45 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    This is my replica of Civil War era Maynard 50 caliber breech loading black powder carbine.

I have been using tools for well more'n 35 years..I have multiple lathes and mills and surface grinder and heat treat furnace and Rockwell hardness tester, bandsaws , welders and,and,and ....I threw everything I had at this project and still had to make special cutters and setups along the way. Took approximately 3 months..Used a rifled barrel blank and store-bought nipple and I bought the 3 leaf rear sight. But made every thing else including bolts and springs..Worked from the drawing in Frank DeHaas book "More Single Shot Rifles and Actions" ..Plus had a man with an original gave me some dimensions..I used cnc mill to rough out the parts and then everything else was done on manual machines.

Good shooter.Also have a second one half done but on back burner for a while.Its chambered in .45 acp because I load that cartridge and have plenty extra for plinking.

000_0010_0005.jpg 000_0025_0001.jpg

2. MG-42

MG-42 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Cave Creek
    State:
    Arizona
    The work you do looks like art. Thanks.

3. MG-42

MG-42 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Cave Creek
    State:
    Arizona
    Any chance that you have more pictures of this rifle. In 38 spl this would be cute.

4. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    I pulled hundreds of pictures off the internet showing various models of Maynards..Subtle differences.. The sporting centerfire version was offered in wood case with multiple barrels so a guy could use it as shotgun or rifle in his choice of calibers..Yes certainly would be fun in .38 special..I have the one started in .45 acp and reserve the option to build additional barrels to fit it.The couple pictures shows early in the construction. Amazing ain'it that can go from that rough to finally ready for use, working just with the machinery found in a typical well equipped home workshop.

There are approx. 20 different breechloading civil war carbines that a guy can build if he has the tools and sufficient time.

View attachment 41223

7 28 12.jpg 000_0026.jpg 000_0001_0012.jpg

5. dirtyjim

dirtyjim United States Active User Active Member

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    nice project.
    the case colors turned out real nice

6. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks .I have CCH several guns, some turned out better than this one and several come out worse..Seems like a bit of a crapshoot... I have a new shipment of color case hardening charcoals coming Monday. I am going to re-do a Lowwall rifle I built years ago. That one was the first I ever did and I used only wood charcoal, no bone charcoal.It turned out with the hardened skin I wanted but no colors other than a washed out black color.Am pulling the gun apart in order to rust blue the new barrel I put on it last month and I will then polish the receiver and see if I can make it look better with CCH colors...

This is the one I am going to re- color case harden next week..Sorta looks like worn cold blue dont it?

100_1994.jpg

7. dirtyjim

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    looks like a old thinning blue worn from years of use, nothing wrong with that.

8. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Yes you and I agree on that..Its well good enough for a rifle that gets used..By re color case hardening it I run the risk of making it look gaudy..Did that with a Highwall I built that come out so bright that I couldnt tolerate it so I buffed off the colors..See that rifle after the buff- I think its now a handsome piece of work- Incidently I finished that one 3 years ago and was the last one I had finished until this Maynard...I havent actually completed very many of these kinds of projects..Still have a lot to learn if I stick with the hobby another 20 years or so. ;-)

100_4342.jpg 100_4330.jpg

9. dirtyjim

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    it definitely looks good now, and you can still make out a little of the color.

10. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Dirtyjim
    Yeah that one had a much different bright pattern on either side that didnt match side to side and I couldnt stand it..I am trying to have a few handsome guns..Pretty guns are not what I am going for and gaudy isnt the goal either. Heres a couple Stevens model 44 and 1/2s that I built that look good to me

AAAAA.jpg aftertestfired1.jpg

11. dirtyjim

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    those look good too.
    i have a mauser guild rifle with a color cased receiver, bolt & bottom metal.
    the receiver, bottom metal, bolt shroud & safety all match fairly well but the bolt body has a lot more blue than the other parts.

12. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Tell me more about the Mauser dirtyjim .Who did the case colors on it? Was it done with charcoals and then quenched in water as I am doing? I am not fluent in Mausers, dont know the alloy the receiver is made from. Particularly I am curious about the treatment given to the bolt if you know...and .What caliber is the rifle? Pictures?

13. dirtyjim

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    i would guess it was color cased in germany between WWI & WWII since its built on a sr 98 instead of a lr 98. its in 8x57. one of my favorite rifles, its slim & trim, carries real well and shoots good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have a mauser project that will get the receiver, bolt, bottom metal and a few other small parts color cased by turnbull's when it gets a little closer to completion.

14. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    NICE looking rifle dirtyjim .I wasnt aware of any Mausers that were color case hardened....Shows how little I know.........I have just one mauser and somebody "sporterized" it years ago..I dont know enough to know what if anything can be done with it but I dont want to butcher it as I bought it from a good friend that I have lost track of......I think I'll buy a mosin and build something with its action to acquaint myself with working on bolt guns.I see in previous post you have done projects with Mosins.

15. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas

I redid the Lowwall as I said I would. New rust blue on the new barrel and new colorcasehardening ..Took it from a washed out black color to a light grey with a bake on lacquer matt finish for a clean new appearance that I am very happy with.

cch5.jpg

16. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    While I share the enthusiasm for working metal with the majority here , I observe that there are not a lot of readers of the gunsmithing threads nor many replies. Thats perfectly okay, just means there isnt much incentive for guys to show gunsmithing projects they are doing.

I finished making this rear sight yesterday from a piece of rusted leaf spring salvaged from a boat trailer..I hardened and tempered it as a spring of course..The old guns that I like usually require a thick and wide ,flat mainspring and I make them from salvaged automotive leaf springs..

21.jpg

17. dirtyjim

City:
    alvin
    State:
    Texas
    nice sight. i've been able to find most of the sights for my projects execpt for a leaf & ladder sight for one of my lee speed style enfield projects, that one i'll have to make

18. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Very few people even read this thread. Given that this is a hobby metalsworking forum and lot of you guys have lathes and mills and surface grinder and all else that allows you to build virtually anything you are interested in- I will show this pictures of my current project as a parting shot..Had hoped to inspire some more guys to build their own firearm project..It is not at all difficult if you have the tools. But there just isnt much of that interest here.

This is a muzzleloader I am building. Color case hardened it yesterday..Need to rust blue the barrel and CCH a few more parts and it will be done...

....Thinking I will devote myself to civil war era projects in the future but have a few others like this one I still want to finish...If there is little or no response to this post I will back on outta here. Nice metalsworking forum though, I do send guys here .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Maverick

Maverick United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Centennial
    State:
    Colorado
    Alphawolf,
    That's some very nice machine work there and the CCH came out perfect. I joined this forum when I saw a thread on a Steven's favorite build. I have the typical
    wish list of projects and thought the favorite a good place to start, one for me and one for my grandson. I'd very much like to see some of your setups and machining
    operations. That might help me get started. After the favorites maybe a Hi-wall or a transitional era repeater. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Maverick

20. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Maverick
    Good name you have ;-) .
    I dont do well with showing work in progress pictures. Anybody that has had their own machines for a while has worked out their own approach to making parts, dont need to see somebody else doing it.. Metalsworking is just commonsense with a dash of ingenuity.

Stevens Favorites are real nice guns. I built two of them myself.. I still want to build the sideplate version of the Favorite......Hi-walls are tough to build just because there is lot of parts buried up inside where you cant see what is in a bind with what ,but will give you a heap of satisfaction as a third or 4th project..
    I dont know what you mean by transitional era repeater but may I make a suggestion? Go on Gunbroker dot com and buy yourself a stripped Winchester 1873 lever action receiver for 'bout a hundred bucks and then build all the other parts yourself...I built a cute little .22 trapper carbine with a old bare frame that was rusted beyond use to anybody but a guy who like to weld..Cost me about a hundred bucks total and kept me entertained in the shop for a couple months.[​IMG][​IMG]

21. Maverick

City:
    Centennial
    State:
    Colorado
    Alphawolf,
    By Transtional era I mean the transition between single shot and repeaters, The Spencer being a prime example. There were a lot of interesting designs that never
    caught on due to a variety of reasons. I like your "73", how much welding did it take? What filler matches the original material. I see nothing in the finish that looks
    like a weld or repaired area. Very nice sharp lines and contours. Were the internals made from a drawing or samples? I don't have a sample to work from.
    The name comes from My machine shop, Maverick Metalworks. I answer the phone "Maverick" and that's what the customers started calling me. Plus it distinguishes
    me from all the other "Mikes" out there, they are everywhere.

Regards,
    Maverick

22. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Good, glad to hear you have a full machineshop..Lacking some machine will slow a guy down dramatically..
    Nice thing about the winchester 1873 is that they are extremely popular today with cowboy action shooters..So if you dont want to make one or more of the parts you can buy them..I got most of the dimensions from a book..I also bought a few old parts that I then reverse engineered...And because I built it as a .22 rimfire I had to ask for some details on a forum..See the .22 1873 doesnt use a firing pin - the hammer drives the bolt forward via a sloppy fit of the toggle links and then a projection on the bolt face strikes the rim of the cartridge..I had a bit of trouble 'seeing' that one...

I tig welded the receiver. It was one extremely rust pocked receiver that the guy sold as a paper weight and I just couldnt help myself, wanted to see if I could turn it into a good looking gun..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. Metalshaper

Metalshaper United States Active User Active Member

City:
    OP
    State:
    Kansas
    Alpha,

Sorry for not adding in to your posts..

We talk off-line and I forget sometimes to keep giving a topic a kick here and there.. if nothing else to inspire other people to speak up!
    You know I'm a big FAN!!!

Respect Always
    Metalshaper/Jonathan

24. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Maverick
    I want to mention that I would much enjoy seeing your Spencer if you would build one..There are simple drawings and plenty of pictures enough online to get you into the deep end of the work and then use your stubborn determination and your own skills to finish ....Would certainly be a project to be proud of. I know of nobody that has built one entirely..When you gonna start it? :)

I may buy one of the Spencer replicas someday, think Dixie sells one from an Italian manuf. that is 'bout 700 dollars..Price is reasonable considering it'd cost a few hundred dollars and 3 - 4 months free time to build your own.,
    I aggresively hunt drawings and pictures online. Pull them into Autocad to then scale and trace and otherwise make ready to cut metal...I rather replicate the classic American made single shot rifles . Second choice I like the older leveraction repeaters..

25. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Ahhahh!! I knew I had a friend or two on here..Thanks Jonathon

26. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    AW, I hate to see you think that no one is reading this thread. If you scroll down, you will see that at least 78 different members have read, and I'm sure many are following even if they aren't posting. Some are very new at metalworking, and may not feel they know enough even to ask questions. So please continue to keep this thread going. It is very interesting.

27. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Tony Wells, does the total numbers of different readers show up on my page too or only on administrators page? I dont see it on mine but I have really poor eyesight so I have to read a micrometer by smell:rofl:
    Going back through this thread I see I already have shown nearly every better looking gun I have built, I have a few stinkers to my credit as well, things I slammed together in just a few weeks....Recently I acquired a book showing excellent photographs of finely crafted firearms ..I cant even hope to ever get half that good with this hobby but again I will say that with the tools and 'nuff time a fair machinist can enjoy the project and end up with something fun he can be proud of.Real good hobby.
    Here is one I built from barstock..Used a rifled barrel blank and bought the tubular magazine and then I made every single other part including every bolt and spring and sights and I cast the bronze buttplate. Its a copy I made of my original Marlin model 1892 .22 rifle....Good bit of fun to shoot something you worked on for half a year..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. Nels

Nels United States Founder Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Eastern Queens
    State:
    New York
    AW,

It shows up only for admins and me as site owner at the very bottom of the page. But if Tony wants, he can change the settings to let you guys see that too. Here is who have viewed the thread so far:

Members who have read this thread: 79

29. Maverick

City:
    Centennial
    State:
    Colorado
    Alpha,
    Read a micrometer by smell??
    That folks is a sure sign of too many years spent in a machine shop.
    That Marlin is a sweet piece of work, and only took a half a year? It would take me that long to finish drooling over it.
    I won't even ask about drawings till I start on the Favorite (I have one to copy)

Regards,
    Maverick

30. Alphawolf45

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    Nelson that is indeed an impressive number of unique readers....Thankyou.That was enlightening.

Metalsworking is best hobby there is .My intentions with this thread are now fulfilled.Want to share my enthusiasm for the hobby that I love...Wanted to show other capable fellows what I like to do..Hope some folks looks at my pictures and decides they can and will do much the same thing. Virtually anybody with the tools and the time and desire can eventually do as well as or better than what I have shown here........

.I find I can spend a couple hundred dollars on a chunk of walnut and a gun barrel blank and pieces of steel and then keep myself cheerfully engaged in my metalsworking hobby for couple or three months at a stretch....A couple hundred dollars for several months entertainment fits my modest budget very nicely.
    I also enjoy rebuilding antique boat motors but I cant afford the rare ones I lust over....I have also rebuilt hundreds of antique radios and early test equipment but I burned out on that stuff....but my electronics experience serves me well with repairing my old shop equipment....wow I am rambling now..have a good'un.