Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Alphawolf,
By Transtional era I mean the transition between single shot and repeaters, The Spencer being a prime example. There were a lot of interesting designs that never
caught on due to a variety of reasons. I like your "73", how much welding did it take? What filler matches the original material. I see nothing in the finish that looks
like a weld or repaired area. Very nice sharp lines and contours. Were the internals made from a drawing or samples? I don't have a sample to work from.
The name comes from My machine shop, Maverick Metalworks. I answer the phone "Maverick" and that's what the customers started calling me. Plus it distinguishes
me from all the other "Mikes" out there, they are everywhere.

Regards,
Maverick

Good, glad to hear you have a full machineshop..Lacking some machine will slow a guy down dramatically..
Nice thing about the winchester 1873 is that they are extremely popular today with cowboy action shooters..So if you dont want to make one or more of the parts you can buy them..I got most of the dimensions from a book..I also bought a few old parts that I then reverse engineered...And because I built it as a .22 rimfire I had to ask for some details on a forum..See the .22 1873 doesnt use a firing pin - the hammer drives the bolt forward via a sloppy fit of the toggle links and then a projection on the bolt face strikes the rim of the cartridge..I had a bit of trouble 'seeing' that one...

I tig welded the receiver. It was one extremely rust pocked receiver that the guy sold as a paper weight and I just couldnt help myself, wanted to see if I could turn it into a good looking gun..weldthefrontend.jpgweldtherear.jpg100_4355.jpg100_4356.jpg100_4457.jpg

weldthefrontend.jpg

weldtherear.jpg

100_4355.jpg

100_4356.jpg

100_4457.jpg

Alpha,

Sorry for not adding in to your posts..

We talk off-line and I forget sometimes to keep giving a topic a kick here and there.. if nothing else to inspire other people to speak up!
You know I'm a big FAN!!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Maverick
I want to mention that I would much enjoy seeing your Spencer if you would build one..There are simple drawings and plenty of pictures enough online to get you into the deep end of the work and then use your stubborn determination and your own skills to finish ....Would certainly be a project to be proud of. I know of nobody that has built one entirely..When you gonna start it? :)

I may buy one of the Spencer replicas someday, think Dixie sells one from an Italian manuf. that is 'bout 700 dollars..Price is reasonable considering it'd cost a few hundred dollars and 3 - 4 months free time to build your own.,
I aggresively hunt drawings and pictures online. Pull them into Autocad to then scale and trace and otherwise make ready to cut metal...I rather replicate the classic American made single shot rifles . Second choice I like the older leveraction repeaters..

Ahhahh!! I knew I had a friend or two on here..Thanks Jonathon

Alpha,

Sorry for not adding in to your posts..

We talk off-line and I forget sometimes to keep giving a topic a kick here and there.. if nothing else to inspire other people to speak up!
You know I'm a big FAN!!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

AW, I hate to see you think that no one is reading this thread. If you scroll down, you will see that at least 78 different members have read, and I'm sure many are following even if they aren't posting. Some are very new at metalworking, and may not feel they know enough even to ask questions. So please continue to keep this thread going. It is very interesting.

Tony Wells, does the total numbers of different readers show up on my page too or only on administrators page? I dont see it on mine but I have really poor eyesight so I have to read a micrometer by smell:rofl:
Going back through this thread I see I already have shown nearly every better looking gun I have built, I have a few stinkers to my credit as well, things I slammed together in just a few weeks....Recently I acquired a book showing excellent photographs of finely crafted firearms ..I cant even hope to ever get half that good with this hobby but again I will say that with the tools and 'nuff time a fair machinist can enjoy the project and end up with something fun he can be proud of.Real good hobby.
Here is one I built from barstock..Used a rifled barrel blank and bought the tubular magazine and then I made every single other part including every bolt and spring and sights and I cast the bronze buttplate. Its a copy I made of my original Marlin model 1892 .22 rifle....Good bit of fun to shoot something you worked on for half a year..100_4007.jpg100_4017.jpg100_4009.jpg100_4020.jpg100_4008.jpg7.jpg

100_4007.jpg

100_4017.jpg

100_4009.jpg

100_4020.jpg

100_4008.jpg

7.jpg

AW,

It shows up only for admins and me as site owner at the very bottom of the page. But if Tony wants, he can change the settings to let you guys see that too. Here is who have viewed the thread so far:

Members who have read this thread: 79

Alpha,
Read a micrometer by smell??
That folks is a sure sign of too many years spent in a machine shop.
That Marlin is a sweet piece of work, and only took a half a year? It would take me that long to finish drooling over it.
I won't even ask about drawings till I start on the Favorite (I have one to copy)

Regards,
Maverick

Nelson that is indeed an impressive number of unique readers....Thankyou.That was enlightening.

Metalsworking is best hobby there is .My intentions with this thread are now fulfilled.Want to share my enthusiasm for the hobby that I love...Wanted to show other capable fellows what I like to do..Hope some folks looks at my pictures and decides they can and will do much the same thing. Virtually anybody with the tools and the time and desire can eventually do as well as or better than what I have shown here........

.I find I can spend a couple hundred dollars on a chunk of walnut and a gun barrel blank and pieces of steel and then keep myself cheerfully engaged in my metalsworking hobby for couple or three months at a stretch....A couple hundred dollars for several months entertainment fits my modest budget very nicely.
I also enjoy rebuilding antique boat motors but I cant afford the rare ones I lust over....I have also rebuilt hundreds of antique radios and early test equipment but I burned out on that stuff....but my electronics experience serves me well with repairing my old shop equipment....wow I am rambling now..have a good'un.

Back