Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Alphawolf45
Retired from the military - 20 years with no war skill - still makes me laugh.

The most complicated job I have tackled is a set of double set triggers for a Sharps Borchardt action. Got the action after it had been through a fire so everything was nice and soft. Got the dimensions for the DSTs from the Single Shot Rifle Association, they had two sets, one by Jim Lofland and one by Frank Zitka. Both are essentially the same with differences and both are very easy to do - just takes a lot of time. It was my fifth project on my vertical mill and one of the most satisfying when it was done and actually worked.

What kind of steel did you use for the Maynard receiver and the barrel stub ?

How did you measure for the pin hole and touch hole in the receiver ?

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I would have taken a rod - put a point on it, slide it in the barrel and made sure it centered on the touch hole in the cartridge. Then put the barrel in the receiver and lightly tapped it to get the location. Math is not my friend so I could never have measured it and gotten it anywhere near the correct location.

MaynardG

MaynardG
I built the Maynard from used 1 inch thick steel salvaged from overhead cage on old standup electric forklift.. I heated a sample of it cherry red and quenched in water and then tested with file and Rockwell hardness tester to determine that it was a low carbon steel that would not go brittle hard after color case hardening.... 8620 would be the right steel to use when you can find it in size you need.

I started a Borchardt scratchbuild..Its one of the projects I wont ever finish. The blueprints were drawn with numerous mistakes and I was fool enough to trust several dimensions that proved to be incorrect... I have a 3 BooBoos and I quit work plan...The incomplete barreled action now hangs on my wall in my shop...I've since decided that I want nothing to do with any rifle that hasnt got an exposed hammer....

I do intend to make a single set trigger for a highwall- have never made or used anysort of set triggers..Sounds like some fun.

For the Maynard hole through the breech face----- I stuck an insulin syringe needle in the end of wood dowel down the barrel and through an insert I put in one of the cartridges. The needle point passed through the hole in the cartridge base and twirling the wood dowl I was able to mark the location on the breech face with the needle point.....

.I'll measure and drill for a rimfire firing pin but Anymore if its a centerfire I always mark for firing pin hole location through the primer pocket of an empty cartridge- as you suggested...quick and certain to be correct.

Steven,

Do you remember what kind of rod you used to TIG weld the 73 Winchester receiver? Were those receivers cast?

thanks,

Allen

Steven,

Do you remember what kind of rod you used to TIG weld the 73 Winchester receiver? Were those receivers cast?

thanks,

Allen

Hello Allen
I tig welded the 73 receiver with ER70S-6 mild steel filler rod..I first did the electrolytic rust removal procedure which I am sure helped to clean the surface and particularly the open pores prior to tig welding...I dont know if the receiver was cast..It has that appearance but I do not know. It does weld very well. And there is no evidence that it has been welded after ground smooth and case hardened.

Great thread guys, impressive work.

I'm an OK metal worker, but have never done any gunsmithing, I like the idea below of modifying a part of a gun first and progress from there. I've got a 10-22 and several 870's in both 12 and 20ga to play with.

Great thread guys, impressive work.

I'm an OK metal worker, but have never done any gunsmithing, I like the idea below of modifying a part of a gun first and progress from there. I've got a 10-22 and several 870's in both 12 and 20ga to play with.

schilpr You have the right idea . Building an entire gun takes too long for most folks busy schedules...Repairing or modifying an existing firearm is a very good way to enjoy the hobby. Start a thread and share pictures when you get something to show..We all enjoy seeing what other folks are doing..

Wow! I would say you did an awsome job. Did you tig each one of those pits and pockets?

Itt

It was one extremely rust pocked receiver that the guy sold as a paper weight and I just couldnt help myself, wanted to see if I could turn it into a good looking gun

Wow! I would say you did an awsome job. Did you tig each one of those pits and pockets?

Itt

I have an old TIG welder weighs maybe 500 to 700 lbs. I love the old machine, there isnt much that can go wrong with it that I couldnt repair- unlike the modern wonder boxs that are chock full of printed circuit boards stuffed with surface mount components.....But my 25 or 30 year old Airco hasnt the user controlleable features of the newest welders....But you see that it does a fine job nonetheless.

The pits and pocks were extensive, covering every area of the Winchester 1873 receiver.. Some areas that werent too bad only required a couple strokes with a good file to level it off to below the shallow pits while a whole lot of it had to be filled in with rod.....Really the receiver was too far gone and I only used it because I felt a challenge to see if I could make it look good again.I wouldnt be interested in doing another like it...

I have a bare naked Marlin 1888 receiver coming.The 1888 was only made one year..Only about a thousand of them made 124 years ago..Rare. Its in reasonably good shape but may need some Tig welds to make it nice..

Alpha,

Have you shown these guys the second Maynard you finshed? and the
color cased job on it!!:)) Thought the guys would want to see your handi-work!!

Have to admit I haven't had much shop time recently.. taking care of some
family stuff and playin nurse to my wife after her surgery..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Last edited:
Alpha,

Have you shown these guys the second Maynard you finshed? and the
color cased job on it!!:)) Thought the guys would want to see your handi-work!!

Have to admit I haven't had much shop time recently.. taking care of some
family stuff and playin nurse to my wide after her surgery..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Hello Jonathon . No I havent even taken finished pictures of it..The dang thing did come out nice. FUN little plinker..I cant consistantly hit a cat at 20 paces with my 1911 handgun in .45acp but I got this little Maynard shooting the same cartridges into real tight groups .Could head shoot squirrels with it.....I am a bit bummed, cant decide what I want to work on now.

Last edited:
Back