Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

those look good too.
i have a mauser guild rifle with a color cased receiver, bolt & bottom metal.
the receiver, bottom metal, bolt shroud & safety all match fairly well but the bolt body has a lot more blue than the other parts.

Tell me more about the Mauser dirtyjim .Who did the case colors on it? Was it done with charcoals and then quenched in water as I am doing? I am not fluent in Mausers, dont know the alloy the receiver is made from. Particularly I am curious about the treatment given to the bolt if you know...and .What caliber is the rifle? Pictures?

i would guess it was color cased in germany between WWI & WWII since its built on a sr 98 instead of a lr 98. its in 8x57. one of my favorite rifles, its slim & trim, carries real well and shoots good.

guildtop.jpg

guildrightsidereceiver.jpg

i have a mauser project that will get the receiver, bolt, bottom metal and a few other small parts color cased by turnbull's when it gets a little closer to completion.

guildtop.jpg

guildrightsidereceiver.jpg

NICE looking rifle dirtyjim .I wasnt aware of any Mausers that were color case hardened....Shows how little I know.........I have just one mauser and somebody "sporterized" it years ago..I dont know enough to know what if anything can be done with it but I dont want to butcher it as I bought it from a good friend that I have lost track of......I think I'll buy a mosin and build something with its action to acquaint myself with working on bolt guns.I see in previous post you have done projects with Mosins.

Thanks .I have CCH several guns, some turned out better than this one and several come out worse..Seems like a bit of a crapshoot... I have a new shipment of color case hardening charcoals coming Monday. I am going to re-do a Lowwall rifle I built years ago. That one was the first I ever did and I used only wood charcoal, no bone charcoal.It turned out with the hardened skin I wanted but no colors other than a washed out black color.Am pulling the gun apart in order to rust blue the new barrel I put on it last month and I will then polish the receiver and see if I can make it look better with CCH colors...

This is the one I am going to re- color case harden next week..Sorta looks like worn cold blue dont it?

I redid the Lowwall as I said I would. New rust blue on the new barrel and new colorcasehardening ..Took it from a washed out black color to a light grey with a bake on lacquer matt finish for a clean new appearance that I am very happy with.

cch5.jpg

While I share the enthusiasm for working metal with the majority here , I observe that there are not a lot of readers of the gunsmithing threads nor many replies. Thats perfectly okay, just means there isnt much incentive for guys to show gunsmithing projects they are doing.

I finished making this rear sight yesterday from a piece of rusted leaf spring salvaged from a boat trailer..I hardened and tempered it as a spring of course..The old guns that I like usually require a thick and wide ,flat mainspring and I make them from salvaged automotive leaf springs..

21.jpg

nice sight. i've been able to find most of the sights for my projects execpt for a leaf & ladder sight for one of my lee speed style enfield projects, that one i'll have to make

Very few people even read this thread. Given that this is a hobby metalsworking forum and lot of you guys have lathes and mills and surface grinder and all else that allows you to build virtually anything you are interested in- I will show this pictures of my current project as a parting shot..Had hoped to inspire some more guys to build their own firearm project..It is not at all difficult if you have the tools. But there just isnt much of that interest here.

This is a muzzleloader I am building. Color case hardened it yesterday..Need to rust blue the barrel and CCH a few more parts and it will be done...

....Thinking I will devote myself to civil war era projects in the future but have a few others like this one I still want to finish...If there is little or no response to this post I will back on outta here. Nice metalsworking forum though, I do send guys here .

3.jpg1.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Alphawolf,
That's some very nice machine work there and the CCH came out perfect. I joined this forum when I saw a thread on a Steven's favorite build. I have the typical
wish list of projects and thought the favorite a good place to start, one for me and one for my grandson. I'd very much like to see some of your setups and machining
operations. That might help me get started. After the favorites maybe a Hi-wall or a transitional era repeater. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Maverick

Maverick
Good name you have ;-) .
I dont do well with showing work in progress pictures. Anybody that has had their own machines for a while has worked out their own approach to making parts, dont need to see somebody else doing it.. Metalsworking is just commonsense with a dash of ingenuity.

Stevens Favorites are real nice guns. I built two of them myself.. I still want to build the sideplate version of the Favorite......Hi-walls are tough to build just because there is lot of parts buried up inside where you cant see what is in a bind with what ,but will give you a heap of satisfaction as a third or 4th project..
I dont know what you mean by transitional era repeater but may I make a suggestion? Go on Gunbroker dot com and buy yourself a stripped Winchester 1873 lever action receiver for 'bout a hundred bucks and then build all the other parts yourself...I built a cute little .22 trapper carbine with a old bare frame that was rusted beyond use to anybody but a guy who like to weld..Cost me about a hundred bucks total and kept me entertained in the shop for a couple months.100_1612.jpg100_1616.jpg

100_1612.jpg

100_1616.jpg

Back