Metal Tags For Threading On Lathe

If it is just black on aluminum, you could get them laser etched by a local print shop. That is what I had to do with my standard modern spindle rpm plate. I picked up a small sheet of aluminum at my local tractor supply.

Ok- I changed my mind. Here's a sneak peak. I'm posting because after working on this tonight, I have some lessons learned to share.

1) I was wrong about sanding on a hard flat surface like the granite block. For one, the nameplate is probably not flat, unless it's new. And for two, you can't tell how aggressive you're getting and might sand too far. I did this in a couple areas. I think I'll be able to fix it, but it certainly won't look as good as it could have.
2) The liquid mask works exceptionally well.
3) 1000 grit might be a bit too course, actually. Next time I'll try 1500 grit.
4) Use a small strip of paper on your finger rather than pushing the nameplate against a flat surface. I found I had far more control this way.
5) Don't be afraid to use an exacto blade on stubborn areas- going to town with the sandpaper will inevitably take off paint that you didn't want off.

That's it for now... I have some touchup to do, and then onto the black areas...

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

Martin,
unfortunately the manual does not have any clear pics. here is the manual I have.

Attachments

• Martin DLZ 502-602-702 tours.pdf
    27.2 MB · Views: 20
There is a pic of a threading plate. I blew it up and it looks ok but is not in english so I have no idea if this is it.

plate.jpg

That is the exact tag. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
Cheers
Martin

Your welcome,
I try to help when I can. That pic is in the pdf manual I posted.

Is that label embossed from the back? or was the panel acid etched? Tim

Ok- I changed my mind. Here's a sneak peak. I'm posting because after working on this tonight, I have some lessons learned to share.

1) I was wrong about sanding on a hard flat surface like the granite block. For one, the nameplate is probably not flat, unless it's new. And for two, you can't tell how aggressive you're getting and might sand too far. I did this in a couple areas. I think I'll be able to fix it, but it certainly won't look as good as it could have.
2) The liquid mask works exceptionally well.
3) 1000 grit might be a bit too course, actually. Next time I'll try 1500 grit.
4) Use a small strip of paper on your finger rather than pushing the nameplate against a flat surface. I found I had far more control this way.
5) Don't be afraid to use an exacto blade on stubborn areas- going to town with the sandpaper will inevitably take off paint that you didn't want off.

That's it for now... I have some touchup to do, and then onto the black areas...

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsbvzbqdfy.jpg

Is that label embossed from the back? or was the panel acid etched? Tim

I'm not sure what process was used to create it. The back of the label is smooth. The letters/lines on the front are raised off of the background. I guess that would be acid etched?

Martin,
unfortunately the manual does not have any clear pics. here is the manual I have.
I never saw that you posted the manual until today. Thank you very very much. My son speaks and reads French so understanding will not be a problem.
Martin W

Back