• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Micke S

Active User
So, the vintage Munktell Lathe is finally at home. It was possible to take it apart to get it out from the castle smithy. Two friends helped me and we used a shop crane that I have to load in on two trailers.

The flat belt transmission will be changed to normal V-shaped drive belts. Next thing to do is to remove a storage room in the garage where the lathe will be placed. Since it is disassembled now it was possible to put all parts in the garage to avoid storing it outside in rain and snow. It is still winter here.

DSC03492.JPG

20150222_133356.jpg

20150222_133402.jpg

20150222_135040.jpg

20150222_133352.jpg

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
She is gorgeous! Nice catch.
She is yours. But please reconsider turning her into a V-Belt.
Or at least consider saving the parts so that she can be reset to OEM.

Daryl
MN

Micke S

Active User
Thank you Daryl,

I have to agree that a flat belt is the right way to move on with this. I'll check and see about availability but guess that such belts can be ordered in any length. The width of such belt will ensure good grip and belt life. I've read that one of the pulleys needs to be slightly concave to keep the belt centered. There is a lot of material with the lathe that is suitable for making a belt drum to the engine.

I already have a 4 hp 400 Volt 3-phase engine and a 7.5 kW Danfoss VFD for the project. I needs to be a bit warmer now so I can move some stuff outdoor under a roof while the garage is rebuilt where the lathe will be. It is just to remove a small storage room with junk, so it will be fine to get better use this floor area. This will also make it possible to rearrange some other machines so I don't need to crawl on the floor as badly as now just for removing chips from the milling machines.

Uglydog

Active User
Stockholm?
I think my wife would still call Vaxjo home. She was born and raised in the USA, however she spent several years there going to school and living with family.
This past summer two of her friends from Lunby stayed with us for two weeks.

If for some reason you can't find a belt, let us know. Freight might get uncomfortably expensive, But someone should be able to find you the correct length/width.
Yes, slightly concave. The physics on this if really fun. Not that I understand the math.
From the pics she looks clean.
Please keep in touch!

Daryl
MN

Micke S

Active User
I'm close to Vasteras. But my father and his new family lives in Vaxsjo since very long so I'm there from time to time.

The smihty was closed 10 years ago. But the machines were treated with some type of oil at the time and have survied well.

I have a friend who is working in a tool shop so he will provide a flat belt but thanks anyway. I'll keep you updated !

David M

Active User
I can see the flat drive belt in the first picture, where does it go? Is the lathe still being run from a line shaft?

Micke S

Active User
It hasn't happened a lot with the lathe since it was taken home. I need to remove a storage room in the garage before it is installed. Today I was to a market for old vehicles and found two great accessories for the Munktell lathe. One Bergstroems QCTP, which uses the same tool holders a I have on the Örn/Storebro lathe. The QCTP have minimal wear, if any. The side holder grips are so tight that I needed to grind like 0,0001" with an oil stone.

I also found a new Röhm rotating live center with MT4 shaft, which is the same dimension as the tailstock quill. I payed 150 dollars for the items together. I also bough a few large old high quality regrinded drill bits with MT4 shafts. One of them is 43 mm :eek 2:. This is great for making large holes before they are turned to the final dimension.

The Precision Square is new in a box and was made 1976 in Soviet Union before the dissolution and change to the Russian Federation as it is named today. The change was in the period of the Berlin Wall removal in the end of the 1980's. The tool costed (now) 3 dollars and is of course a bargain.

DSC03749.JPG

Last edited:

FOMOGO

Active User
Looks like you are always in the right place at the right time for all the bargains. Were you able to save the overhead shaft and pulley system? I would love to have that setup. Cheers, Mike

Micke S

Active User
Yes I've had great luck in a couple of machine projects and old iron is the real thing. The big sheet metal and rod cutter is here but I had to decline the bandsaw since it was too large. The garage is about as full as a filled suitcase at the moment :excitement: The belt transmission is left at the place. The plan for the building is to renovate it for residential use and keep some stuff like the fixed parts of the belt transmission.

British Steel

Active User
Re the flat belt pulleys, one has to be conVEX, not concave for them to run centrally - barrel shaped, not hourglass!
Nice looking machine, I think you'll enjoy it!

rick9345

Active User
Stockholm?
I think my wife would still call Vaxjo home. She was born and raised in the USA, however she spent several years there going to school and living with family.
This past summer two of her friends from Lunby stayed with us for two weeks.

If for some reason you can't find a belt, let us know. Freight might get uncomfortably expensive, But someone should be able to find you the correct length/width.
Yes, slightly concave. The physics on this if really fun. Not that I understand the math.
From the pics she looks clean.
Please keep in touch!

Daryl
MN
CONVEX for flat belts

Micke S

Active User
It is 10 months since I took home the old Munktell lathe. Not much has happened but this weekend I arranged the necessary space by removing a storage room in the garage.

To be continued...

DSC04483.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
Demolition is always fun, a good way to vent, and you see a lot of progress in a short period of time. Looks like a good start. Mike

Micke S

Active User
You are right, it was a good kicks-starter. The work goes on and the walls and roof are now painted. So the area is more or less ready for the beast and other machinery.
There is a lot of more fun work to do as installing 3-phase and single phase outlets, and to install a couple of light armatures.
DSC04498.jpg

DSC03492.JPG

Micke S

Active User
Same here, it is time to get her running. The heavy bed with mounted apron will be put on the lathe stands tonight when I get assistance.

Micke S

Active User
Bed in place and cleaning process started. I'm using WD40 and it seems to work fine. The lathe is covered with a thick layer of greasy soot on all horizontal surfaces. The same type of dirt that remains and can be seen on the bottom of the left stand. I wonder how the workers lungs looks, if any of them is alive. The shop was not used during the last 2 decades if I remember correct.

Upcoming work, except for a lot more cleaning, is leveling the bed and then proceed with headstock and tailstock installation.

DSC04512.JPG

DSC04509.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
The old girl looks pretty good with just the wipe down. The lead screw seems to be in nice condition. Mike

Micke S

Active User
I have a good machinist spirit level (borrowed) to level the lathe now. I've also bought a vintage machinist spirit level for 40 dollars to the vintage machinery collection and will check if it it works okay.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Micke S

Active User
Everything in place now and the lathe is ready for use after some more cleaning and installing a 4 hp 3-phase motor and VFD.

DSC04532.JPG DSC04536.JPG

Micke S

Active User
Removal of spindle and drive assembly in order to install a closed flat belt. This also gives the possibility to clean up the internals and install drip-oilers.

DSC04545.JPG

DSC04551.JPG

Micke S

Active User
The re-organizing of the garage is ongoing to get more space. Earlier it has not even been room for four persons to be there at the same time :apologize: There is still a lot of (pleasant) work to do. Install 3.phase outlets, more lights, fine positioning of machines, more cleaning and throwing scrap and so forth. But it already begins to feel as a home :D

DSC04559.JPG

DSC04564.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
Starting to look pretty well sorted out. Everything close to hand. You should have no trouble getting a lot accomplished in there, and have a great time doing it. Do you have tunes, and alcohol? The latter perhaps for after work. Nice job. Mike

[6]
[5] [7]