Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

Micke S

Active User
Registered
So, the vintage Munktell Lathe is finally at home. It was possible to take it apart to get it out from the castle smithy. Two friends helped me and we used a shop crane that I have to load in on two trailers.

The flat belt transmission will be changed to normal V-shaped drive belts. Next thing to do is to remove a storage room in the garage where the lathe will be placed. Since it is disassembled now it was possible to put all parts in the garage to avoid storing it outside in rain and snow. It is still winter here.

DSC03492.JPG

20150222_133356.jpg

20150222_133402.jpg

20150222_135040.jpg

20150222_133352.jpg

She is gorgeous! Nice catch.
She is yours. But please reconsider turning her into a V-Belt.
Or at least consider saving the parts so that she can be reset to OEM.

Daryl
MN

Thank you Daryl,

I have to agree that a flat belt is the right way to move on with this. I'll check and see about availability but guess that such belts can be ordered in any length. The width of such belt will ensure good grip and belt life. I've read that one of the pulleys needs to be slightly concave to keep the belt centered. There is a lot of material with the lathe that is suitable for making a belt drum to the engine.

I already have a 4 hp 400 Volt 3-phase engine and a 7.5 kW Danfoss VFD for the project. I needs to be a bit warmer now so I can move some stuff outdoor under a roof while the garage is rebuilt where the lathe will be. It is just to remove a small storage room with junk, so it will be fine to get better use this floor area. This will also make it possible to rearrange some other machines so I don't need to crawl on the floor as badly as now just for removing chips from the milling machines.

Stockholm?
I think my wife would still call Vaxjo home. She was born and raised in the USA, however she spent several years there going to school and living with family.
This past summer two of her friends from Lunby stayed with us for two weeks.

If for some reason you can't find a belt, let us know. Freight might get uncomfortably expensive, But someone should be able to find you the correct length/width.
Yes, slightly concave. The physics on this if really fun. Not that I understand the math.
From the pics she looks clean.
Please keep in touch!

Daryl
MN

I'm close to Vasteras. But my father and his new family lives in Vaxsjo since very long so I'm there from time to time.

The smihty was closed 10 years ago. But the machines were treated with some type of oil at the time and have survied well.

I have a friend who is working in a tool shop so he will provide a flat belt but thanks anyway. I'll keep you updated !

I can see the flat drive belt in the first picture, where does it go? Is the lathe still being run from a line shaft?

It hasn't happened a lot with the lathe since it was taken home. I need to remove a storage room in the garage before it is installed. Today I was to a market for old vehicles and found two great accessories for the Munktell lathe. One Bergstroems QCTP, which uses the same tool holders a I have on the Örn/Storebro lathe. The QCTP have minimal wear, if any. The side holder grips are so tight that I needed to grind like 0,0001" with an oil stone.

I also found a new Röhm rotating live center with MT4 shaft, which is the same dimension as the tailstock quill. I payed 150 dollars for the items together. I also bough a few large old high quality regrinded drill bits with MT4 shafts. One of them is 43 mm :eek 2:. This is great for making large holes before they are turned to the final dimension.

The Precision Square is new in a box and was made 1976 in Soviet Union before the dissolution and change to the Russian Federation as it is named today. The change was in the period of the Berlin Wall removal in the end of the 1980's. The tool costed (now) 3 dollars and is of course a bargain.

DSC03749.JPG

Last edited:
Back