Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

Same here, it is time to get her running. The heavy bed with mounted apron will be put on the lathe stands tonight when I get assistance.

Bed in place and cleaning process started. I'm using WD40 and it seems to work fine. The lathe is covered with a thick layer of greasy soot on all horizontal surfaces. The same type of dirt that remains and can be seen on the bottom of the left stand. I wonder how the workers lungs looks, if any of them is alive. The shop was not used during the last 2 decades if I remember correct.

Upcoming work, except for a lot more cleaning, is leveling the bed and then proceed with headstock and tailstock installation.

DSC04512.JPG

DSC04509.JPG

The old girl looks pretty good with just the wipe down. The lead screw seems to be in nice condition. Mike

I have a good machinist spirit level (borrowed) to level the lathe now. I've also bought a vintage machinist spirit level for 40 dollars to the vintage machinery collection and will check if it it works okay.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Everything in place now and the lathe is ready for use after some more cleaning and installing a 4 hp 3-phase motor and VFD.

DSC04532.JPG DSC04536.JPG

Removal of spindle and drive assembly in order to install a closed flat belt. This also gives the possibility to clean up the internals and install drip-oilers.

DSC04545.JPG

DSC04551.JPG

The re-organizing of the garage is ongoing to get more space. Earlier it has not even been room for four persons to be there at the same time :apologize: There is still a lot of (pleasant) work to do. Install 3.phase outlets, more lights, fine positioning of machines, more cleaning and throwing scrap and so forth. But it already begins to feel as a home :D

DSC04559.JPG

DSC04564.JPG

Starting to look pretty well sorted out. Everything close to hand. You should have no trouble getting a lot accomplished in there, and have a great time doing it. Do you have tunes, and alcohol? The latter perhaps for after work. Nice job. Mike

Back