Micrometer

Miketowler86

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone new to the forum and fairly new to machining. My new machinest job requires me to have my own tools (previous did not) I'm only familiar Starrett tools any suggestions on more affordable quality tools for some one starting out with a tighter budget?

Welcome to the forum. Try Mitutoyo for high quality at reasonable price points. The pro machinists here should be giving you much more advice soon.

Roy

Mike welcome to the forum and hope that you continue to contribute.

I have some mitutoyo metrology instruments. However I also have some "off brand" instruments as well. Quite a few actually. For the work that I do that requires precision in the range of 0.001" they all perform well.

Now having said this I think it will depend on what you will be expected to produce. If the tolerances that the company requires will depend on your instrument accuracy then it would be prudent to have some standards that will be suitable for the range of measurements that you will be working with. Perhaps the company will have a set of standards that you can verify the calibration of your instruments. That is what I have.

David

Used/second hand Starrett is an excellent choice if you buy smartly;).

As you are "fairly new to machining" and your "new machinist job" surely the company wont be dropping you into high end, close tolerance work on a vast array of different machines and tasks? Do you know what they will be starting you out on? Find out what work you will be required to perform, and to what tolerances, and purchase the best tools suited to the task, you can afford for that job. As you progress up the ladder, just keep buying the best you can afford for each new task as required and just add to your inventory, (of course all the time keep an eye out for bargains). I would roughly estimate that I have $50 000 worth of hand tools alone, (spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, punches, hammers, mics, calipers, dial indicators, levels, drills, taps and dies, .....the list just goes on.......... The point being I sure didnt drop all that cash in one hit as a youngster starting out.
But Mitutoyo, JAPAN is a quality brand. Just beware there are Chicom Mitutoyo knock offs!

Cheers Phil

Etalon. Excellent mics and can be found on ebay for Starrett and Mitutoyo prices.
Swiss made craftsmanship. The best. I own 3. They will last a lifetime and accurate.

My 1" to 3" micrometers are Mitutoyo, I bought them because I figured that they were going to get beat up and I didn't want to wreck "good" ones. I have had them for 45 years, I take care of them and they served well. Most all of my other measuring equipment (Height gauge, calipers, vernier protractor etc. ) are Starrett or Brown and Sharp. I also don't like friction thimbles or ratcheting thimbles, I prefer to set my mics for a light touch so that I can feel debris or misalighnment. My light touch has proven time and again to be more accurate than friction or ratcheting thimbles. I also hate digital mics but that's just me!

Teclock from Japan are nice for a fairly cheap price. I got a NOS on Ebay for a fair price.

Back