Mill vs. Lathe Post Volume?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm wondering why there seem to be a lot more posts on lathes than mills. Not that it's important, just curious. I picked up a used lathe a few months ago. While I was searching I had a bunch of questions, but now that I've got a lathe and I'm learning to use it, I'm not so interested in lathe posts.

I want a mill, so am eagerly looking for info to guide my purchase (deja vu, but replace lathe with mill).

Is it just me, or is there less debate/discussion about mills?

I would venture the lathe is the more common machine in an average hobby workshop. They're not that far a stretch from a woodworking lathe which many people probably used in school so there's a familiarity aspect, and I think for the most part there are more lathes made and marketed than there are milling machines.

Also too, as a result of being more available, it's often one of the first major machines purchased after maybe a drill press. By the time the neophyte works his way up to buying a milling machine he can likely answer many basic questions on his own instead of always having to ask. I also suspect that once the initial blush of the lathe purchase wears off there is a certain amount of attrition as folks discover if they want to keep on with the hobby or discover that maybe it's not really their thing.

Just my thinking on it.

-frank

In a pinch and with the correct tooling & holders you can mill on lathe.
I've heard that the only tool that can make itself is a lathe.
In other words, all the processes required to make all lathe parts are possible. Cylinders, spheres, holes, and flats.
I haven't seen where the reverse is possible. But am looking forward to correction.
A good first metal machine is arguably the best choice.

Daryl
MN

I would venture the lathe is the more common machine in an average hobby workshop. They're not that far a stretch from a woodworking lathe which many people probably used in school so there's a familiarity aspect, and I think for the most part there are more lathes made and marketed than there are milling machines.

Also too, as a result of being more available, it's often one of the first major machines purchased after maybe a drill press. By the time the neophyte works his way up to buying a milling machine he can likely answer many basic questions on his own instead of always having to ask. I also suspect that once the initial blush of the lathe purchase wears off there is a certain amount of attrition as folks discover if they want to keep on with the hobby or discover that maybe it's not really their thing.

Just my thinking on it.

-frank
Frank,
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess I haven't worked my way up far enough yet so am still looking for answers. Mebbe I just need to spend more time in the shop instead! ;)
Evan

In a pinch and with the correct tooling & holders you can mill on lathe.
I've heard that the only tool that can make itself is a lathe.
In other words, all the processes required to make all lathe parts are possible. Cylinders, spheres, holes, and flats.
I haven't seen where the reverse is possible. But am looking forward to correction.
A good first metal machine is arguably the best choice.

Daryl
MN
Daryl,
I bought a lathe first for the reasons you state, plus I found one I liked for a good price. Mills seem much tougher, at least in the space between production machines and mini-hobbiests, which is what I'm seeking.
Evan

Back