milling 45 degree angle bender brake top die

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok I'm going to build a bending brake for my 20 ton shop press my first quandary is best way to setup a 20 inch plate on my mill table with minimal tools. was looking for opinions and maybe pics on how yall would do this my first thought was to cut a couple 45 degree blocks and mill them to match then use those to position the plate on my mill table with some sort of hold down clamps what'd yall think any and all opinions welcome :) pics if ya got em :)

45 Degree dies will not make a 90 Deg. bend in a press brake, the material will always spring back.
A more acute angle is required.

What angle would you suggest ???
At the very least 40 Deg., better yet 30 Degrees for general purpose dies.
A simple Google search for press brake dies will tell you all that you need to know, in the past, pre-internet days I always made them 30 Degrees.

As to how to make them the angles are not very important so have at it.

So do you mean 15 degrees on each side to make a total of 30 or 30 on each side to make a total of 60 degree angle ???

A 60 Degree V thread form has 2 flanks at 30 degrees, the included angle is therefore 60 degrees, a buttress thread has an included angle but the flanks are not equal angles.

My other idea was since I don't have an angle plate was to make smaller sections I can hold in the vise so basically a finger brake

My other idea was since I don't have an angle plate was to make smaller sections I can hold in the vise so basically a finger brake
Don't worry about the angles for such a part, the finished dies will never repeat regardless of how accurate you make them. Every single piece of material heat has a slightly different makeup, you may have a 20' length of material that has different properties along its length. Air bending takes a good deal of trial and error, carry on.

Back