Milling Guitar Tuning Keys Base Plate

aqualibguitars

Registered
Registered
Hello friends. new member here
Its my dream to build my own tuning keys for guitars which i build myself.
i came across with a workshop which has M1TR machine on which they do their milling job.
the jobber says that he can make the base plate from brass. but needs some drawing which
will be very helpful to him.
can anyone help me in this regard to know the distance between the centre of the worm and gear?
is there any member who is classical guitarist who know about the gear and worms
the ratio generally is 1:15 and OD of the gear is about 10-12 mm.
is there any ratio or anything like it? or any drawings will be more helpful
there is VMC too in my vicinity . but it needs 3d model in igs or step files.

waiting for ur help

My mate across the road makes and restores violins. I have made some worm gears and pinions for him in the past. I shall ask if he has a guitar piece . I made a special tap/hob thingy to mill the worm wheel in the lathe .

woow thats good thing.
do u make worms and gear?
if i give u my specs then can u make the worm and gear in smaller quantity??
or atleast can u give me dimensions and module of the gear and worm i want?
im planning of OD-12 mm and module 0.6 with 18 teeth .
is it ok or should i go for lesser teeth like OD-12mm and 15 teeth which has 0.7 module?
pls help and sry to ask much due to excitement :)

I would use the .7 module. The tooth form is slightly larger. I will look for that module on my emco super 11, I know my colchester triumph 2000 has it. I could make you a couple to start. Do you have any machining capabilities?

it means i should go for OD-12 and 15 Teeths?
i dont have machining capabilities.
but i do have industrial area near my surrounding so that i can get made some modifications
should i use phospor bronze or aluminium bronze for gears?
if u make wat will be price per set?

Phosphor bronze usually for gears. Send me dimensions and I will make a sample for you.

Thanks. sir for the favour.

i have attached the drawings .
i have copied from a website and hand drawn.
also i need 4 x4 mm slot in the center of gear to engage the nylong roller shaft
on which strings are tuned
before making the sample can u give me price for set of worm and gear?
also can u make video of hobbing the gear ?

20160821_235513.jpg

20160825_151341.jpg

I shouldn't say anything,as bad as my pictures can be. But,I have to plead that it was because I had this small Canon auto focus camera. You could not focus manually with it. It focused very often on something near that you WANTED to take a picture of,and your object was really out of focus.

I now have a Canon Rebel,which I CAN focus by hand. So,hopefully my pictures should be better.

Back