Milling Machine Quill Light

Billh51

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had a little shop time recently and put together a light for my milling machine. I remember reading BG Hansons post about one he made for his mill and I was impressed with the one he built. So Bruce, hope you don't mind I kind of copied your idea.
My light is a 100 millimeter diameter, that I also bought off E Bay. I didn't have any aluminum stock the right size so I used a piece of 1/2" MDO plywood and three magnets glued on the top side to hold the light ring in place on the mill. I picked up a used 12v dc power supply for $2.00 and a toggle switch for $2.00 also. The rest of the supplies I had laying around my shop. My total investment is about $12.00 and it works quite well.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Nice job!!
I put one on my mill temporarily, using clear tape to hold the magnets in place, that was 2 years ago... You post is inspiring me to implement a more permanent solution.

I had a little shop time recently and put together a light for my milling machine. I remember reading BG Hansons post about one he made for his mill and I was impressed with the one he built. So Bruce, hope you don't mind I kind of copied your idea.
My light is a 100 millimeter diameter, that I also bought off E Bay. I didn't have any aluminum stock the right size so I used a piece of 1/2" MDO plywood and three magnets glued on the top side to hold the light ring in place on the mill. I picked up a used 12v dc power supply for $2.00 and a toggle switch for $2.00 also. The rest of the supplies I had laying around my shop. My total investment is about $12.00 and it works quite well.View attachment 246945View attachment 246946View attachment 246947View attachment 246948View attachment 246949View attachment 246951View attachment 246952View attachment 246953View attachment 246954View attachment 246955
Great job, but I can't take credit for the idea. Many others here have posted their builds. Great idea on the magnets for easy removal.

Bruce

Last edited:
I made one of these for my mill a while ago, but I'm still looking for a better solution. It works fine as long as the quill is fully retracted, but as the quill is lowered it blocks the light. I still use my old magnetic base goose neck light a lot. Anyone got any better ideas ?

Ted

Great job Bill!
The whole thing looks very professional with the wire loom and switch plate.
-brino

I made one of these for my mill a while ago, but I'm still looking for a better solution. It works fine as long as the quill is fully retracted, but as the quill is lowered it blocks the light. I still use my old magnetic base goose neck light a lot. Anyone got any better ideas ?

Ted
Yes Ted. I’m in agreement with you. Billh51 did a great job. But it does not light up the immediate work area. Like with the pic of the chuck. The chuck is blocking the light at the center of the work area. I made the same kinda light ring and have the same problem. Also, those light rings have a weird color temp that I do not like. Like you said, the goose neck lighting is the best so far. On another note, I just received a 250W 3000K par38 15° LED flood. What a nice light source! Two of those things on a mill in goose neck would be more than enouph!...Dave

I cheated the angles a bit by going with dual 100mm and 110mm lights. Still far from perfect. Geometry bites us in the rear; closer you get to the table, the light diameter needs to get bigger to beat the angle. They make the lights in bigger diameters; 110 mm, 120 mm, 130 mm, 140 mm and at least up to 150 mm. But the only way to get the light down on the center with the quill 1/4" from the table is to flood it from the side.

Bruce

20171015_160034.jpg
20171116_111858.jpg
20171116_111902.jpg
20171116_111914.jpg
20171116_112211.jpg

Back