Milling Tilt Table

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As requested, Here are the photos of the tilt table I made some time ago for my mini-mill. I'm trying a slightly smaller photo size this time. The base and top piece are cut from 6" channel iron.
P9140007b.jpg

On some projects, I whip up a CAD drawing or two to remind me what I had in mind, and to work out critical dimensions.
Tilt Table b.jpg

A view of the 'inside' of the table. After cutting the pieces to length, cross-braces should be welded in. Do this early, because welding will warp the piece and it can then be machined true.
P9140001b.jpg

As the drawing shows, the sides of the channels are cut down to keep the total height of the table as low as possible. After I was nearly finished, I decided to thicken the ends of the base to provide clamping stiffness and clearance away from the bolts. Good idea to do that early as well.
P9140005b.jpg
P9140009b.jpg

Clamp the base to the mill and true up the sides. Then mill down most of the sides a bit more, leaving pads at all four corners for the top to sit on when the table is level. Cut down the sides at the ends to leave the clamping flats. Repeat the process for the top section, ignoring the part about the clamping tabs. Round the bottom corner of the top piece at the pivot end.

Clamp the base section upside down to the mill table and true up the raised end sections. These should end up parallel to the four pads left on the sides of the base.

Weld on a pair of solid towers for the pivot bolt, which is made from 1/2" CRS, threaded 1/2" - 20. It is held by a couple of nuts made by cutting a 1/2" nut in half. The holes for the shaft need to be a really close fit.
P9140002b.jpg

Spend some time with CAD or paper to get the dimensions right for the two clamping slides. The slot can be a bit longer than necessary for 0* and 90* positions. I used 3/8" bolts because I try to use only a few sizes of wrench around the shop for adjusting tool setups.
View attachment 247
P9140003b.jpg

After the whole thing is assembled, bolt it down to the mill table, make sure the top is all the way down and clamped, and mill the top true. Then drill and tap any mounting holes you need.

This should give you enough info to design and build your own tilt table. The web on my channel iron was only 1/4" thick, so if you can get anything thicker, go for it.

Have fun in your shop.

Mike

P9140007b.jpg Tilt Table b.jpg P9140001b.jpg P9140005b.jpg P9140009b.jpg P9140003b.jpg P9140002b.jpg P9140004b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Pretty Slick, do you think there is enough room between the top and bottom surfaces to allow the installation of a "scissor" type adjustment arm using a threaded rod/shaft from the end opposite of the hinge? Just thinking that might make getting that certain angle much easier, but then again maybe not.

NX, if you need a bit more room, just cut the side a bit higher. Work it all out on paper or CAD to see how much room is needed. I'd still have the side slotted clamps, though, just to make it as solid as possible for milling.

I think the lift is a good idea. It's pretty easy to overshoot an angle when you're sliding it by hand. I sometimes tighten one bolt hand tight and ease it into position with a soft hammer.

Mike

Last edited:
I'd definetly keep the side clamps for rigidity sake. I have an old dump truck body that has a compound dump system, it uses a short fat cylinder but raises a load with no problems. Using that as a basis for a lift scissor, I think it might be worth drawing up using info from your plans (if you don't mind).

Go for it, my friend. anything that helps the members make the tools they want is a good thing.

Mike

Mike,

That really is a nice piece of tooling you have made there.

I have only just got back into welding, using a brand new 160 amp mig welder I was given. I am finding it a little strange as I used to do a lot of welding with either oxy/acet or stick, where you feed the rod rather than having it fed for you, but it is coming back, slowly.

I have a need to make a sine table, something very similar to what you have made, at some time in the future, I will be playing about with cutting gears using hobs. But that will be another story.

Well done.

John

A little OT, but John, when I made the switch from stick to MIG, I almost couldn't stop feeding the gun into the puddle. Was a hard habit for me to break....now I can barely stick weld, and keep a steady arc because I won't feed the rod in!

Now, if we can just get you to post the actual CAD file, that would save me from having to surreptitiously copy that pic and blowing it up to proportions I can use. ;)

Please, :nerd:

-Ron

I tried to attach the file, but it wouldn't go. Sorry about that.

Mike

Last edited:
Back