Mini-lathe ID help?

playfulplans

Registered
Registered
New to the forum, thanks for your patience as I begin to explore what's been (and not been) posted.

ID for this small cast lathe I own? 22.5" L, the max distance between centers is approx. 12". Although quite basic, it's substantial in design and weight with nice <Deco/Machine Age> casting details. Cast ID #'s on bottom of bed rails 103.1 and 10326, on headstock interior 10327-103 with a stamped 1, on tailstock interior 10328-103 with a stamped upside-down 3. There are similar numbers on the tool rest. Thanks all. mini1.jpg mini2.jpg

Dunlap, perhaps? Similar decorative detail, although pointed the other direction. Somebody on here has one, I know it.

image.jpeg

-frank

Thanks Frank, mine could very well be either a mini-Dunlap w/o the nice crank, or maybe a knockoff of same.

Last edited:
I would almost guarantee it's a Dunlap. The side-to-side swap is explained by the assembly - note in the photo the spindle ends are coming out the other sides of the castings. SOmeone tried to eke an extra smidgeon of working space out of it by assembling it the other way about. Lovely little thing.

Yes, I think that might do it. I was beginning to think the image had been flipped, but after twisting my tongue around a few different ways I think you're right. Probably explains the unpainted sections on the bed way surfaces too.

-frank

Actually, rereading the initial description it's definitely Sears. 103 was one of the designations of Sears' supplier that was eventually bought up by King-Seeley. 101 was Atlas Press, 103 was mostly the more basic tools sold as Dunlap, Companion and so on. Thank you Google...

Good sleuthing. I knew I remembered it by a different name but couldn't think of it. Thought it had something to do with Royal, but I guess the "king" part accounted for that. There's a member here SilverHawk who knows a fair bit about them, I think he has a couple.

-frank

Yep that is a sears Dunlap The head stock and tail stock are assembled backwards. turn the tailstock ram around and put a handle on it.

I would almost guarantee it's a Dunlap. The side-to-side swap is explained by the assembly - note in the photo the spindle ends are coming out the other sides of the castings. SOmeone tried to eke an extra smidgeon of working space out of it by assembling it the other way about. Lovely little thing.
Nice- thanks!

Back