Mini-lathe ID help?

Actually, rereading the initial description it's definitely Sears. 103 was one of the designations of Sears' supplier that was eventually bought up by King-Seeley. 101 was Atlas Press, 103 was mostly the more basic tools sold as Dunlap, Companion and so on. Thank you Google...
Wow- excellent! I'll have a look.

Yes, I think that might do it. I was beginning to think the image had been flipped, but after twisting my tongue around a few different ways I think you're right. Probably explains the unpainted sections on the bed way surfaces too.

-frank
Thanks Frank!

Bingo. Thanks all, the nut securing the head assembly was rusted completely but got it off after soaking w/penetrating oil.

Need to find a crank, will follow up asking for leads on the forum.

BTW thinking a 1/2 HP for this little guy, will just use it for small hardwood/softwood repair parts for vintage toys?

lathe4.jpg

very cool lathe, i love the art-deco design.
sadly new machinery is not as thoughtful in their build to even consider such a thing

1/2 hp will be sufficient for your needs

i have seen metal turned on wood lathes, using modified metalworking tooling, to create missing parts and pieces.
light cuts and patience are necessary.
sharp tooling also aids in speedy metal removal

Bonus shots of what I do, it's all itty-bitty repairs to important (often rare or only known example) vintage wooden toys for collectors stateside and across the pond. This replacement spindle for a fine ca: 1910-20's Schoenhut chimes example on my tuned-up CM mini.

lathe5.jpg mueller32.jpg

Were it me, I wouldn't consider more than 1/4 horsepower for that - it's simply not needed. The spindle on that little guy is tiny (1/2"?) and any more power could conceivably damage it.

This little guy would be an ideal candidate for a cheap DC motor from a treadmill or the like, as it would give variable speed with no need for belt changes or aught else. This being Spring, i'd be hunting the yard sales/side of the road on trash day for a treadmill with a DC motor and scavenging it for the drive system.

I will say, your abilities with wood turning are superb - bravo.

Were it me, I wouldn't consider more than 1/4 horsepower for that - it's simply not needed. The spindle on that little guy is tiny (1/2"?) and any more power could conceivably damage it.

This little guy would be an ideal candidate for a cheap DC motor from a treadmill or the like, as it would give variable speed with no need for belt changes or aught else. This being Spring, i'd be hunting the yard sales/side of the road on trash day for a treadmill with a DC motor and scavenging it for the drive system.

I will say, your abilities with wood turning are superb - bravo.

Thanks just old al but Oh Lord, don't complement me on my turning skilz .. Ha! I haven't turned for over thirty years since owning a lathe in my Birmingham AL cabinet shop, bought the 10 x 18 CM mini recently to meet requests from vintage toy collectors for turned parts (most of my repairs are to damaged flat wooden parts, metal mechanisms etc). I guess I tossed four or five of those spindles before turning one that was acceptable to me although the client loved it. Look forward to seeing what you do here, thanks again. BTW Yes, 1/2" spindle.

One more question, any guesses on the original finish/color on this Dunlap? Maybe a medium gray, or I see kind of a dark cobalt blue on vintage examples online. Pretty certain it was painted this bright blue by a former owner. Bought it on eBay for I think like $60 plus S&H but it's been a few years ago and would like to return it to a semblance of it's original appearance.

Back