Mitutoyo imperial calipers

Fortis64

Registered
Registered
Just bought a used set of these , just not sure what the 2 sets of numbers represents 1-90 on each half of the dial ... I just wanted a set of calipers that doesn't involve batteries .

Sean images.jpeg

These are Metric. They read similar to English, but it's more confusing to me so someone else should chime in.

View attachment 247589
Sorry .... this is what I meant

I think you'll find that they are imperial. In the center of the dial just below the spindle for the hand you can see it is marked >ll< 001" so each small mark on the dial equals one thousandth of an inch. So one half a turn is 100 thou or 1/10th of an inch.

Zero it by closing it, make sure the faces are clean first, then loosen the little thumb screw, rotate the dial to align the pointer with a zero, then tighten the thumb screw. check it by slowly opening it 5 full turns, zero to zero, it should line up with the one inch mark on the bottom scale. Mitutoyo good quality. look after it will last a lifetime.

I think you'll find that they are imperial. In the center of the dial just below the spindle for the hand you can see it is marked >ll< 001" so each small mark on the dial equals one thousandth of an inch. So one half a turn is 100 thou or 1/10th of an inch.

Zero it by closing it, make sure the faces are clean first, then loosen the little thumb screw, rotate the dial to align the pointer with a zero, then tighten the thumb screw. check it by slowly opening it 5 full turns, zero to zero, it should line up with the one inch mark on the bottom scale. Mitutoyo good quality. look after it will last a lifetime.

So a full turn of the dial = 0.200

They sure look like metric calipers from here although the picture is a tad fuzzy. I think I can see the centimetres marked out on the main beam scale though. One thing I always look at is the dial colour -- yellow as opposed to white is often a metric instrument.

-frank

They sure look like metric calipers from here although the picture is a tad fuzzy. I think I can see the centimetres marked out on the main beam scale though. One thing I always look at is the dial colour -- yellow as opposed to white is often a metric instrument.

-frank

The dial face is marked .001" so it's an inch caliper, but the upper scale on the beam is in mm. even though the lower scale is inches.
Maybe this was Mitutoyo's attempt at teaching Americans the metric system! :)
Interesting tool.

Yeah I've used these and I still don't understand them. So much easier to just get the 0-100 dial and read them that way, but they look nice.

Aha, I was looking at the OP's first photo of the yellow dial ones. They only show one scale on the beam. My mistake.

-frank

Back