Mobile Base For A Mill?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am outfitting a new PM935TV knee mill and want to put a mobile stand under it. I have the equipment to fabricate one.

When adding a stand, I also want to give it a little wider stance since the mill's footprint is a touch narrow and I don't intend to bolt it down.

Perhaps someone has used CARRYMASTER or FOOT MASTER combined leveler/casters?

So I am looking for ideas and solutions you have found or put into place for a mobile base under a milling machine.

By the way, the mill will be about 1600 pounds plus the weight of a stand when outfitted. Here she sits and I may want to put her in and out of that corner, time will tell.
landed in its spot.jpg

This is the base I built for the 935 . I originally built this for a different mill , then when I got the 935 I cut the base in half and lengthened it to fit the 935 . Although it was stable, I decided to widen the foot print with the removable part you see replacing one of the bolts on the casters (2nd pic down). It is just a piece of 1" bar stock with 3/8-16 tapped into each end and a hex machined in the middle . I also added two more feet in the middle of the base , these are just 1/2-13 coupling nuts welded on the side . The casters are SSC .
Two people can roll it out for periodic cleaning/maint .
----------------------------------------------------------------
10Done.jpg
12Outrigger.jpg
1BaseForAnotherMill.jpg5BoxedOutBoltHoles_inFrame.jpg 9TigginMiggin.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------
original base parted in half , lengths added , holes for plug welds, jigged up for welding
2BaseParted.jpg
7ClampedTop.jpg

11_935Mill_Base.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I wanted relative mobility, casters , but didn't want to raise it 7 inches , that's why I did it like this .
If you have a scrapyard, (or ebay) look for Albion or SSC casters.
The bottom of the mill is raised 5-1/2 inches putting the top of my vise at hanging elbow height , I am 5'9" .
Whatever you build, u generally want to make it such that the top of the table or vise at the same height of your elbow when standing .
Hope this gives you some idea's H&A , or anyone wanting a lower profile mobile base .

Possibly a steel frame around the base and a [possibly modified] pallet jack when you need to pick it up and move it?

We built this one a couple of months back. The mill would end up 1" off the ground and the castor brackets gave it a little wider stance with stable results.
This machine weighed in around 3800 pounds and rolled nice with moderate effort. The four leveling feet adjust quite easily with a 8" crescent wrench.
The hole you see lines up with the coolant tank drain on the back of the mill. I'm sure you could use lighter material for your 1600 lb. machine.

IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

Paco,
Wow! That is one outstanding piece of art as Mark calls it!
  • Who's casters did you use?
  • Is that 4" angle? What is the wall thickness?
  • How did you brake that steel plate for the caster mounts?
Thanks for posting all the detailed photos. I really like your use of the box/tubing sections for the gussets and the leveler supports. Really top notch work and a well thought out design.

Thanks. I wanted relative mobility, casters , but didn't want to raise it 7 inches , that's why I did it like this .
If you have a scrapyard, (or ebay) look for Albion or SSC casters.
The bottom of the mill is raised 5-1/2 inches putting the top of my vise at hanging elbow height , I am 5'9" .
Whatever you build, u generally want to make it such that the top of the table or vise at the same height of your elbow when standing .
Hope this gives you some idea's H&A , or anyone wanting a lower profile mobile base .

Thanks for all the photos and your mods to fit to a 935. I am grateful for you taking the time to share your good ideas here.

I agree fully with your tip on the Albion casters. I have some under a weld/fab table and also under a KMG belt grinder and they are very good. I bought them on Amazon at a decent price.

Your height tip is a good one too. As you know the 935 is a touch low and so raising it up is a good thing. I have seen some examples of raising them up even without the casters.

The casters are 5" Service Master, they are cheaper ($112 for 4 shipped) if purchased through eBay than directly from the company (due to shipping cost). The Albion are a bit nicer, but you role the mill in place and than raise it and you are done. Some people use the FootMaster rolling/leveling feet, but a larger roller is easier to push. The leveling feet were 4" tall attached with ~1" threaded supports welded to the base. We raised the machine and put spacers between the casters and the mounts for ground clearance when transporting the mill. If you are not moving the mill once parked, you could have bolt on wheel brackets.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Heavy-Dut...lyurethane-on-Iron-Core-1000-lbs-/32167315653
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FootMaste...er-Leveling-Pad-1100-Pounds-New-/132037408679

Back