Mockups In Cheap Materials

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
As I mentioned in the "What do you use to design" thread (or whatever it was called), I like to do mockups in cheap materials, sometimes affectionately known as Cardboard Aided Design. I enjoyed my drafting class in high school where I did some by hand and most in the last release of AutoCAD before it got 3D functionality. Most of my work has been in digital imaging, with a few years in construction as well, and my 2D work in Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, QuarkXPress, and InDesign seem to be blocking me from getting my head around 3D design. As a result I find it easier to just mock up with cheap, easy to process materials rather than fight with the software that just isn't doing what I want. I'll get there, but I'm not there yet.

My brother-in-law uses a lot of MDF, especially melamine-faced, in his cabinet business, so I am often able to get scraps. At one point he had a stack of a couple hundred pieces of 3/16" melamine at about 18"x48" each after a massive commercial cabinet job. I won't need to go get more any time soon, as I took a couple dozen pieces home.

The beauty of this is that it is the same thickness as the hundreds of pounds of scrap A36 flat stock I have from a shop where I worked. I also have 1/2", 1", 1.5", and 2" square tubing scraps. It's very easy to make up those sizes from 1/2" and 3/4" plywood and 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", and 1" MDF scraps. When I have some scraps of those that are too small to be very useful for other things I rip them into strips that match the steel scraps I have. Then when I need it to mock up a project I don't have to set up the table saw, I just quickly cut the previously prepared "stock" to length at the miter saw.

Here's my first draft of my 2"x72" belt grinder:

f52fa6a5aea0fe0ae56d7fc77b726ee5.jpg

(The dowel section represents the gas shock I'm using for belt tension, at full extension.)

1fbb64688bbccbcbd3712704550fb6c0.jpg

Some of what is solid here actually represents tubing. Note how well they correspond:

94fad0019cdd3423a2f5d55043af1550.jpg

I try to do this to actual dimensions I will be using in the final build so I can just reference from this for all my cuts and layout later. I even have one corner of the base plate here designated as "Reference", with every dimension from that corner a nice easily repeatable fraction.

Mind you this is the actual build currently in progress:

4d19d2ade7c71cfe11a11beaa0950704.jpg

I learned enough from the mockup to change my mind about most of the design. Then I was confident enough to proceed without doing another mockup.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but hopefully it will get some ideas started/planted for a few others. :)

Weird. They show up fine in Tapatalk on both of my devices, but not in web view. I'll try again but I don't know if it will make any difference as I'm uploading from Tapatalk.

a0ce900c755a002d6725438bbfef3f4a.jpg

And I'm actually having trouble with Tapatalk uploading the images. It's usually instant but right now it keeps hanging at 95%. They must be having some server issues.

796ce025d54a5dfc0ccfd4361205e66a.jpg

004bd6418f3609682524d8e7996d5d2c.jpg

I can relate to Cardboard Aided Design. I’m working toward making a polycarbonate chip enclosure/catcher/retainer thing for my mill table. I’m on my 3rd “CAD” iteration, but still not happy with it. Thankfully, the software is cheap.

Tom

P.S. I too see red X’s instead of pics.

even yours Bill is a red x for the first time

Hmmmm, now I can see it. weird

I can see Bill's but that's the only one. The rest are just red x's.

Back