Monarch 16CW Restoration

pgriek

Registered
Registered
It was surely one of the happiest days for me when I bought my old Monarch lathe a few months ago. It was in a fairly good state, consider it was build more than 70 years ago. I can't say how she was treated through the years but I do know she found a good home with me :)

I have started to restore the machine but like many other restorations, anyway when it comes to me, lead to so many other little projects and things to make to assist or least make the restoration a bit better. My first side project was to build a sandblaster cabinet, wanted build one for so long but never come it, but this time I did. The sandblast cabinet is to blast most of the smaller parts clean before coating. The second side project is building an A-frame lifting beam.

I started off by taking off the QC gearbox and clean that up.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

It was surely one of the happiest days for me when I bought my old Monarch lathe a few months ago. It was in a fairly good state, consider it was build more than 70 years ago. I can't say how she was treated through the years but I do know she found a good home with me :)

I have started to restore the machine but like many other restorations, anyway when it comes to me, lead to so many other little projects and things to make to assist or least make the restoration a bit better. My first side project was to build a sandblaster cabinet, wanted build one for so long but never come it, but this time I did. The sandblast cabinet is to blast most of the smaller parts clean before coating. The second side project is building an A-frame lifting beam.

I started off by taking off the QC gearbox and clean that up.

It appears Sir you have scored a gem. I'll be glued to this resto. They're my favs ya know?

I'm a huge fan fan of Monarch lathes too and this one seems to be in relatively good shape. They are very well built rigid and accurate machines. Bring her back to the glory that she deserves and she'll serve another 70 yrs easily.

I have her cousin. A 16-W, s/n 7749. There is no date stamped on my plate, however.

scan01.jpg

Scan02.jpg

scan03.jpg

I have her cousin. A 16-W, s/n 7749. There is no date stamped on my plate, however.

scan01.jpg

Scan02.jpg

scan03.jpg

Just noticed on the Monarch manual the slogan "No Obsolescence Tolerated Here." And the decades since shows they were true to their slogan!!

Tuned in. I also have a 16cw waiting for power.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I too have a Monarch CW, a great lathe
I hadn't a clue that so many members also had CW's

Not to be a wise ass or anything but the lathe looks like it's ready to work. Do you just want to put some fresh paint on it or does it have problems?

That's a beautiful machine, and the setting with the brick wall and the corrugated metal sliding door make it look right at home and era appropriate. The heavy steady in Tony's post is really a work of art all by itself. Cheers, Mike

Yeah, and I dearly wish I had that steady rest.

Yeah, and I dearly wish I had that steady rest.
Tony,
I have one here that someone started to modify to fit on my 20" Lodge & Shipley lathe. I don't know if it was originally from 18" or 20" Monarch. I might be willing to draw it up for you to fit your lathe if you wanted to build one. Only problem right now I having the time to do so.
Ken

Back