1. We have switched to XenForo forum software. If you are having trouble accessing the site, please email support@hobby-machinist.com and we will get you fixed up ASAP!

More Aggrivation With The Cutler-Hammer Drum Switch

Discussion in 'ELECTRICAL ISSUES - POWERING YOUR MACHINES & SHOP (Phase Converters, VFDS, Wiring)' started by Kennyd, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Kennyd

Kennyd Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Westminster
    State:
    Maryland
    Old electrician joke:

2. pdentrem

pdentrem Active Members Active Member

City:
    Niagara Region South
    State:
    Ontario
    Seems like the cap is not getting powered when reversing the switch position. I will have to study this abit. I did post a whole bunch of pictures showing various versions of motors to drum switch.

Here it is again. Hope it can help you.

Attached Files:

3. Old Iron

Old Iron Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
    I have some old Cutler-Hammer Drum Switch's, If we can match a mode; number maybe I can Help.

Maybe all the old ones are the same. I'll check and get back with some pictures if schematics on there.

4. Old Iron

Old Iron Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
    Hope these will help.

Paul

Attached Files:

5. cjsamples

cjsamples Active Members Active Member

City:
    Hiram
    State:
    Georgia
    Can you please repost that last attachment? It doesn't seem to show up and there is someone looking for a drum switch diagram.

Thanks, Chris.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia
    Just a touch more info needed. When you swapped the two wires, I assume you had to move the switch to the 'Reverse' position to get it to go forward, albeit with a push start. If that's the case, I don't think there is anything wrong with your motor. The same coils are used to start it in either direction - just reverse polarity used on the start coil for reversing.

That would indicate that there is something wrong with the drum switch. It's not feeding power to the starting coil in the 'Reverse' position. Unless, of course, you are using a wrong wire in there someplace. Should probably be the #5 and #8 wires for the direction selection.