More Toys-more Work

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked this up a couple weeks ago.
IMG_9680 - p.jpg
Not original motor. Will have to make a guard to help keep the grit out.
The gibs feel really tight and it needs a good cleaning. Since it'll be apart to clean I'll check the ways on the surface plate. May scrape any high spots.
The vice seems strong and the spark pan can be used for baking when not using the grinder.
Will soon have it on wheels for moving around and will drop the pads and level it for use.

Brought this beast home a couple days ago.
IMG_9681 - p.jpg
Three speed, adjustable cutting pressure, weighs about 840 lbs.
Was probably manufactured 1961 or earlyer and started it career at rocky flats.
Was really gummed up with grease where there should be oil and no oil where there should be.
Many of the oil holes were plugged with dirt and the slide needed cleaned and adjusted.
So I pulled it down just a bit to clean and inspect.
Looks like this now....
IMG_9687 - p.jpg
Found one or two bronze bushings that will have to be replaced.
Someone added shims to this slide and I could find no reason for them.
IMG_9690 - p.jpg
Tried fitting the part without the shims and it went in just fine.
The pinion has lost a tooth. Will probably order one from Mc-Carr and bore to size.
IMG_9692 - p.jpg
Doubt if it's heat shrunk on the shaft as it has a tapered dowel so it will probably pull OK.
Don't have tapered reamers and will have to remedy that.
By the depth of the crud in the gears I could tell they weren't adjusted properly.
Got to put all those parts back on tomorrow. Hope I don't have too many bits left over.

Hey if you need to unload some of these things that follow you home I can make use of them . Wish they found there way to my place. At least the surface grinder, I'm green with envy. Good luck with them , looks like your building a nice shop. I picked up an old power hacksaw awhile back still havent worked on it . But I will soon.

Silverbullet
Thanks for looking. Sorry you turned green.
Machinery is hard to find around here and I've been lucky to find a couple of pieces within a 2 1/2 hour drive.
As I live close to nowhere everything is at least a 2 hr drive. The grinder was a 5 hr drive.
A Yam 14-40 lathe turned up but the bed was badly worn and I didn't want another big project.
Looked at the prices for replacement gears and decided to machine my own. I have to make some for a camelback drill press as well.
Ordered a book and material. Will be a great learning experience.
Had to disassemble the saw further than expected but have it part way back together.
Cleaning the old crud off parts takes the most time.

Gotta love those old cast iron frame machines... they have 'character' as well as rigidity!

Nothing like old cast iron!
Gotta love those engine lifts to pull chunks of cast iron off frames as I no longer have rigidity and the attempt would bend more than my character!
Been too cheep to buy steel to build parallel legs for mine but may have to grit my teeth and part with the cash.

Back