Mosin Rehab Project 2015

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
After the 7.62x54r mauser I decided to build a Mosin in the same style for comparison.
I was given a barreled action that had already had some modifications done to it, an ATI bolt handle and scope rail were mounted. The ATI scope rail is beefy but only contacts the receiver ring with nothing in the rear to keep it from bouncing from recoil after the weight of a scope is added. Having done a little slow-motion recording I knew it was going to happen.

I started by removing the scope rail and welding up the screw holes for a fresh start. I made a brass welding backer to fit into the chamber area so I wouldn't have to fight a bunch of weld blobs inside the chamber when I was done.

DSCF7014_zpstktw7lh4.jpg

DSCF7016_zps7bh7nnv8.jpg

DSCF7017_zpseuysn2ne.jpg

This rifle started life in 1943 and the receiver is rough as a cob, given that the Russians were manufacturing to save heir lives all it needed to be able to do was shoot and no time was wasted on finishing.

Because of the ATI bolt handle mod the original handle was already gone and a tapped hole was left in it's place. I was moving the handle anyway so all that was left was to weld up that hole too.

I took a guess at the length I wanted and turned a new handle on the lathe with a slight taper and milled 2 flats so it'd look pretty after the rifle was complete. I tig welded it to the bolt body an inch or so further back than the original would have been.

DSCF7042_zpsolrtlhsk.jpg

I had to shorten the cocking knob extension back to where it's lower lip made contact with the back of the bolt. I don't know much about M-N's but I read that that lip was part of a safety system and didn't want to remove it.

Next the receiver went back to the mill and I cut the notch for the newly placed cocking handle.

DSCF7021_zpsjkfhbvdq.jpg

While in the mill I machined a flat area above the stripper clip gate to accept a bridge for a rear scope mount.

DSCF7022_zpsrhxywi18.jpg

I welded the bridge onto the receiver then re-cut the underside of the scope rail to make perfect contact with the receiver parallel to the bore and trimmed the rear bridge height to level the rail.

DSCF7039_zpsyb6nohmw.jpg

DSCF7040_zps8o1om3oi.jpg

I'll go back and pretty everything up when I'm closer to being done.

I need to put some thought into the trigger, Timney's are slightly more expensive than a whole new rifle and Bold doesn't make one for the M-N. I've been told that I can modify the M-N to accept a Bold Mauser trigger assy but haven't looked into it yet. I'm working on ideas for a stock, it'll probably be aluminum similar to the Mauser.

Working slowly on this a little bit each day. Threading the barrel for a brake was quite a fiasco, with the receiver attached it was to big around to fit inside the headstock of my regular lathe and too long to fit on the short bed on centers. Luckily I have my grandfather's ancient Atlas lathe which has only been used one other time in 6 years and the skinny barrel fit through the headstock just enough to thread. The barrel diameter was already a couple thousandths under .625" so I made it 5/8-24. A member over on WBZ (chillypepper) came up with another idea for a cone style brake so I made one up to test on this rifle.

DSCF7055_zpsqsc7mpep.jpg

DSCF7056_zpswrklpcwa.jpg

I got started on the stock too, Aside from the tang angle setup (two angles) it was just a lot of straight milling.

DSCF7063_zpscvo3hhjz.jpg

DSCF7065_zpsdclguvgw.jpg

The design work leading up to fitting the lower was a little nerve racking because of the way the lower is designed. There is only one outer edge on the lower that is flat, and when it's installed isn't even parallel to anything else. All of the width transitions on the sides are angled 7 degrees to it.

DSCF7069_zpsuyhupvvi.jpg

DSCF7073_zpsafxma42p.jpg

The whole barreled receiver is hidden inside that block!

DSCF7070_zpsehufumky.jpg

Got the handguard adapter finished and fitted and modified the scope mount by adding two more slots to clear the ring screws. I finally caved in and ordered a Timney trigger too!

DSCF7101_zpszunklbjp.jpg

DSCF7104_zps2005ajwf.jpg

DSCF7105_zps9wiezhkt.jpg

With two more pieces to make on the lathe (the bolt knob and a cap for the butt stock tube) I assembled it for a fitting to see where everything needed to be for comfort and if I needed to make any adjustments to components.

DSCF7142_zpsagft2xds.jpg

DSCF7143_zpsbr50c3gv.jpg

DSCF7145_zpsmcvnjjra.jpg

DSCF7146_zpsuf0tov6f.jpg

Back