Most Common Used Involute Gear Cutters

roadie33

Active User
Registered
I've looked around at the different Involute Gear cutters and still confused.

What I was looking for is what is the most common size pitch used for cutting gears for American made machines.
I have a B&S No. 5 21-25 14.5 DP w/ 7/8" Arbor
I find more of the 1" Arbor size for sale than the 7/8"
I can get either Arbor size for the mill so I guess that doesn't really matter, but would like to have all the same size.
Also I am seeing some are 20 deg and 14.5 deg DP.

I am wanting to make some new gears for the Craftsman Lathe and if I get a bigger Lathe later I want to make sure I get the correct ones.

So, which ones should I be looking to buy?

Better off getting what you need when you need it. 14.5 refers to the Pressure Angle (PA) and not the Diametrical Pitch (DP). Your Craftsman lathe probably uses a 14.5 PA, but you need to figure out the DP.

Diametral Pitch: Outside Diameter and Number of Teeth(N)

DP = N+2/OD

If you don't already have a Dividing Head, you are better of getting a good one first.

As for getting cutters for a future lathe, wait until you get the lathe. Otherwise you may end up with a few cutters that sit on the shelf for a very long time waiting to be used.

What drom says. There are so many different ones in the sae (non metric world) that you can't really hope to have the whole set. The size also changes by total teeth so you see 1-6, 6-11, ... 23-R etc. Myself and my friend up the road just buy them when they are on a table used which is a good way or I suppose ebay though it is best to see them 1st. If they are priced right we don't worry about already having one.

Steve

roadie33,
I spent quite alot of time looking for an answer to your question.
Kept coming up with the answer that drom68 provides.
I didn't like the answer then, I don't like it now.
But, near as I can tell it's truth.

Daryl
MN

If your craftsman lathe is made by atlas and a 12" it uses 16dp 14 1/2PA. The 6" Craftsman and Dunlap uses a 24 DP but still 14 1/2PA.

Back