Msc/enco Worried?

I received the emails, and went to their site to register. Not very impressed with the prices. I compared a few things I had bought before at Enco, and MSC was higher on all of them. They'll have to do better than that if they want my business. They need me more than I need them. I have other sources for everything.

Sent using Tapatalk from someplace deep inside the garage

Just some rambling thoughts.
Even if MSC meets ENCO prices, there is still the matter of sales tax which will add 10% to the total price and coupled with the shipping cost, that will run the rest of if not all of their ENCO customers off.
MSC has offices in most states so they will be collecting the sales taxes that ENCO didn't, so with the added taxes and shipping that will kill any deals they may offer.

Another disappointed customer here.

ENCO used to get me interested when their email offers had specific offers. The email would include the exact percentage off and would include what it applied to. I'd grab my catalog and make my order.

Now MSC email offers "Up to 30% off on some select items". The email doesn't specify what. Could be toilet paper. To find out it takes a trip to the website and digging around and try to see what the 30% off is about, and so far it has been very disappointing.

Read the letter I think they mixed up which company should have absorbed which. All enco needed was a website overhaul. I won't be ordering from MSC

I've been getting the adds, but it's funny that I haven't had the need to order anything as of yet. I was a happy Enco customer. I would occasionally look at MSC prices and go back to Enco. Enco's website was difficult to learn at first, but after buying everything, I just used the History to re-purchase expendables. I love McMasters for a lot of stuff, especially if I need it "now". I live close enough to drop by Will Call on my way home from work.

It's probably for the best, plenty of times I would order things from Enco just because it was a great deal and not because I needed it.

I did call MSC today to take them up on their offer of giving me the same price on previous Enco purchases- I reordered a noga holder and drawbar hammer. MSC sold it to me at previously purchased price and free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, last week I needed a few things for my new-to-me surface grinder and one of the items I could only reasonably find at MSC, and I had a 40% off plus free shipping offer. So I put together an order. Good news: it came the next day, which was not important to this transaction. Bad news: MSC charged me for freight, they did not give me the 40% off, and sent a surface grinding wheel that the first three words on the item page was "Made in USA." It also had a red, white, and blue banner on the page that said "USA." The packing slip says "imp" as part of the description, there is not source marked on the wheel or packaging, and the label on the wheel looks exactly like all the stuff I have that came from China.

So, I called customer service, very unhappy. They said the wheel is made in the US, and gave me the name of the manufacturer/distributor to call if I wanted. I remain HIGHLY skeptical. I did not get the 40% off because all the items I ordered were "already discounted in the catalogue." No double dipping, although "double dipping" was specifically mentioned in the promotion. They did not give me the free shipping because I chose it to be shipped from one location instead of from multiple locations, and all items showed in Reno, NV, which is only 100 miles away. I thought I was helping them out. Turns out I lost the free shipping because of that choice, though the choice explained no consequences of that choice.

So I explained to her that this was the second order I had placed with MSC, and that both orders came with product that was not as described, and that their fine print and convoluted ordering details are unacceptable. I was extremely frustrated, and she finally offered to reverse the freight charges, which they did, exactly one week later.
Goodbye, MSC...

Did any of you ever consider that the reason Enco is going away is because to many people only ordered when they could get 15-20% off with free shipping?
Yes. I am sure that Enco has known for a long time that we are sharing discount codes. The solution, if they wanted to stop it, was to tie codes to account numbers like some other businesses do, or reduce the number of codes available. Destroying a user base is not the brightest idea. I talked to one of their retention people when trying to get their account transfer to work. She insisted that MSC is keeping all of the enco employees and facilities. If that is true, then the only bottom line benefit is the closing of the Enco web site and weeding out the small order people. I've been down this road before and the road is usually paved by concern with next quarter's financials, and not the long term health of the company. I would not own their stock at this point. I have ordered some nice tooling from Amazon for MSC prices, and got free priority shipping too.

Back