Msc Milling Machine

Billh51

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking for some information on an MSC mill model #x6323. There is one for sale within a reasonable distance from me and looking at the pictures of it, seems to be in nice shape. I know looks can be deceiving and a thorough check and inspection will tell the tale.
What bothers me is you don't see a lot of these machines and I am wondering is it worth looking at? It is a Bridgeport style knee mill with a 9x42 table. Power feed on the X travel and a two axis accurite dro. Comes with a 6" vice but no tooling. There asking $3750 or BO.

I have not used one of there mills. Have however used a couple of there lathes. If it is in good shape I would not hesitate. There equipment seams pretty good. And twain made.

Thanks for the reply. I am heading out tomorrow morning with the trailer hooked up, just in case it's a good one in nice shape. It's about a three hour drive so I hope it's not a wasted trip.

Good luck with your road trip. Hopefully its in nice shape.
Martin W

I bought one of their Bridgeport clones,and had to return it. The front edge of the table was GROSSLY too high compared to the back edge. Should be a LITTLE higher to allow for cutting pressure,but this one was WAYYYYY too high. And,I wasn't about to take off the 600# 42" table and re scrape a brand new machine.

This mill was for my shop at the museum where I was the toolmaker. I had a DECENT Taiwan made Bridgy clone at home,which I still have. No problem with the table being cockeyed with my Wilke Machine Co. mill,bought in 1986. They stopped selling machines many years ago,though.

I think this one was made in China,but it has been a long time. I bought a higher priced Taiwan made model from them instead. They gave me a good deal since the other mill wasn't satisfactory. It was much better,and should have been as it cost a LOT more. Larger column and 49" table.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I made the trip and wound up coming home with it. It is a 2001 model and had been in a limited use R & D shop. It is in very nice shape and feel very lucky to have it. This is just the type of machine I have been looking for and I think it will work out well for me.
I had been considering a bench type mill but when I saw this one I couldn't pass it up. I will post some pictures of it soon after I get it off the trailer and sitting on the floor.
I will be looking for some help choosing a VFD as it is a three phase motor. The motor is a two speed 240 volt which gives you a rpm range of about 75 rpm to 4800 rpm. Not quite sure how the two speed motor works out with a VFD but I know you guys will help me through it. Looking forward to making some chips.

Billh51,

The two speed motor will work fine on a VFD. I used the lower speed set of wires but either set will work. My mill is an ENCO
and has the two speed motor. ENCO and MSC are connected together somehow so your MSC mill may be the same as a similar
ENCO mill. I went to the VFD because the switch on the mill finally wore out. My mill is a step pulley model as yours is
as well from what I read in your posts. I'm using a TECO FM50 VFD and have been very happy with it so far.
Congratulations on the new mill!

Put a dial indicator into the spindle and run it forwards and backwards across the table. Being careful of the T slots,of course. The indicator is easily knocked out of whack by them. Or,better,lay a flat piece of precision grownd tool steel across the width of the table and run the indicator on that. MAKE SURE IT IS STRAIGHT!!

The front edge can be a thou and a half higher than the rear. Mine was about 3X that. So,back it went. A PAIN to send a big machine back!

It could be that my MSC mill was defective. I hope yours is o.k..

Last edited:
George,
I checked the Y travel with an indicator and a presission strait edge. Front edge is .001" higher on the front, so I think all is good to go. Thanks for the advise

Cathead,
Glad to hear I can run a VFD, I was thinking I may have to go to a RPC. I got it off the trailer today and positioned where it's going to sit in the shop. I did it by myself which didn't go to bad, just took my time and planned the moves carefully.

I didn't get any manuals or schematics with the mill so I may need some help identifying which set of motor leads to use when I hook up the VFD. I did take a few pictures of the ordeal and will post some in a few days. Just glad to have it sitting on my shop floor.

I was checking EBay for VFD's and was wondering what horsepower rating you used?
Thanks

Last edited:
Back