My day in the shop

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Finally got a day in the shop, haven't had many over the last couple of months. Started out drilling some holes but discovered the drill bit I wanted to use wasn't cutting very well. had a look and yep it was dull.

Time to get that fancy new Drill Doctor, that arrived yesterday, out and have a play. So ended up sharpening the entire set of drills 1mm to 13mm in 0.5 steps plus a few odd sizes like 1/4", 1/2"and 9/16". The last 3 were just a few left over from years ago back when we used imperial stuff here in downunder, don't know where the rest went.

I must say I'm rather impressed, the drill doctor works rather well, sharpening dull bits very quickly and evenly. putting a piece of bright mild steel in the 3 jaw I plunge cut with the 13mm . bit. It cut quite well and on size which did impress me, as that's the hardest part of sharpening drills is to get them to cut on size. Sorry no pics on this one. didn't set out to do anything important so didn't think to get the camera out, next week.

I picked up an unused Drill Doctor at an auction last week. No box, no instructions. After fiddling around for 10 minutes, I got it to work. I was able to sharpen an 094 drill in a couple of seconds. Since then, every drill I've picked up got a touch up. It works a charm. Beats any attempt at eye-balling on the grinding wheel.

I like mine and yes, much quicker than hand grinding I think. But watch out: tightening the collet the bit could rotate just a bit and if not noticed that'll give you a bad clearance angle and the bit won't cut but rub.

My wife got one for me when I started having problems with my eyesight. I really like it especially for the smaller drills that I was having the most trouble seeing.

I like mine, Got it from my father in laws estate when he passed. Have put it to some use, first thing I did was find my drawer full of dull bits and go at them. Was a whole lot faster than doing small things by hand. Even sharped a new end on a few broken ones, took a bit longer but did a nice job.
Hope you can get in the shop a bit more now. Before long we will be complaining about the heat here.

Which Drill Doctor models do you guys have?

Mine calls itself a 250 Handyman. Stamped on the bottom.

I use an older drill doctor that resembles the shape of a tombstone DD700 with two collets (3/32"-1/2" and 1/2"-3/4"). It can sharpen 118, 135 degrees and masonry bits. I really like the split point feature. Have had this for well over a decade and have replaced the diamond wheel once. The diamond wheel can be flipped once prior to replacing it all together.
Fast and easy without the heating up the bit.

I use an older drill doctor that resembles the shape of a tombstone DD700 with two collets (3/32"-1/2" and 1/2"-3/4"). It can sharpen 118, 135 degrees and masonry bits. I really like the split point feature. Have had this for well over a decade and have replaced the diamond wheel once. The diamond wheel can be flipped once prior to replacing it all together.
Fast and easy without the heating up the bit.
A DrillDoctor is on my list (actually I'd like a Darex, but that makes NO sense ;)). Can you grind a split point on a non-split-point bit?

I do all the time, just use even pressure and keep a center grind. Very little effort.
The drill doctor I have is made by Darex.

Back